Opinions on a boat

KVico

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, KVico said:

I thought I might have got away without a survey since it's only 2004

Sadly, even a 2015 boat could have serious hull issues. It's unlikely but still possible. 

You could do without a survey and be lucky - many folk do just that. On the other hand...

I quite like the first one, seems little used, has no heating that I can see though, no obvious signs of damp, discoloured ply etc. its all down to the details, figures and hull condition really, I'm not good at valuing things but it seems pretty good to me.

15 minutes ago, Bee said:

I quite like the first one, seems little used, has no heating that I can see though.

The description states "diesel central heating", and radiators are visible on several of the photographs.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You could always try a cheeky offer and see what happens.

I'd try just being honest. "I love your boat and whilst I think the price is reasonable I only have £x. Would you accept that?"

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You could always try a cheeky offer and see what happens.

I have been wondering what the etiquette around making offers is... I have never done anything like this, bought a car or house or anything so I'm unsure...

At least a hull survey on any boat you buy is,in my opinion, a must.

The first one looks a potentially nice boat. Nicely fitted out. It's had a stove so could easily be installed I guess. No curtains. All adds to the cost.

a bit of TLC as mentioned in the advert would make a pleasant boat. Price suspect. Considering work required.

Martyn

I guess it wouldn't hurt to point out some negatives whilst making your offer. 

1 minute ago, KVico said:

I have been wondering what the etiquette around making offers is... I have never done anything like this, bought a car or house or anything so I'm unsure...

You offer what you think it's worth/what you can afford. If the seller thinks your offer is derisory then you've lost nothing. If the seller accepts then you are both happy. 

19 minutes ago, KVico said:

These are out of my price range but I like them better, if I could borrow...

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=503858

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=507958

This is 1979, 40ft, and £32k but quite neat

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=479495

The first of these has no bedroom - I assume that one kips on the settee. You may find this a disadvantage if you're going to live on board.

The second looks well laid out, but note that it has central heating but no stove (it is best to have two heat sources in case the central heating packs up, as sometimes happens).

The third is pure quality: a very well thought of builder, excellently maintained, even the (usually reliable) old engine looks spotless. Portholes give less interior light that "bus windows", but it has a big Houdini hatch (glass thing in the ceiling) for extra daylight. But it is only 40 feet long, perhaps big enough for one person but you won't know if you could live in it until you've seen it.

19 minutes ago, KVico said:

This is 1979, 40ft, and £32k but quite neat

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=479495

It is nice, but at almost 40 years old .................................

I recently sold a Reeves '45 footer' 16 years old, similarly equipped, 13mm base plate, not a single 'pit' anywhere, professionally repainted the week before the sale for £35,000

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

The first of these has no bedroom - I assume that one kips on the settee. You may find this a disadvantage if you're going to live on board.

The second looks well laid out, but note that it has central heating but no stove (it is best to have two heat sources in case the central heating packs up, as sometimes happens).

The third is pure quality: a very well thought of builder, excellently maintained, even the (usually reliable) old engine looks spotless. Portholes give less interior light that "bus windows", but it has a big Houdini hatch (glass thing in the ceiling) for extra daylight. But it is only 40 feet long, perhaps big enough for one person but you won't know if you could live in it until you've seen it.

Is putting a bed in at the far end a big job? Can an ordinary bed go in?

I can't make a trip to visit any of these for a while anyway but I'm just looking.

Your choices seem quite varied. Whilst it's good to have an open mind, you may be better researching your needs and desires more thoroughly in order to formulate a list of things which are must haves, nice to haves and to avoid. That way, the right boat has more chance of standing out in a smaller list of possibles. Just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Your choices seem quite varied. Whilst it's good to have an open mind, you may be better researching your needs and desires more thoroughly in order to formulate a list of things which are must haves, nice to haves and to avoid. That way, the right boat has more chance of standing out in a smaller list of possibles. Just my opinion.

I do have things in mind but I know I can't get exactly what I want... There isn't as much choice in my price range.

16 minutes ago, KVico said:

How much does it cost to install a stove?

Quite a lot. In addition to the purchase price of the stove (somewhere between £200 and £1,000) you have to contend with the fact that narrowboat interiors are compactly designed, so for a start something else - shelving unit, sofa - would probably need to be ripped out to provide space for the stove. Then you would need a hearth for it, a hole in the roof with a metal collar for the flue, heatproofing on the wall(s) beside and/or behind it...all these things are subject, as you'll understand, to safety regulations. I have never had a stove retrospectively installed in a boat, but I'd guesstimate that with labour you would get no change out of £2,000. I'm certainly not trying to be a wet blanket, but I suggest that if you want a boat with a stove, find a boat which already has one.

...which brings up the point which no one has (unless I missed it) mentioned yet on this thread: though you may need to overcome problems to do so, GO AND SEE SOME REAL BOATS. Stand in them, poke around in their nooks and crannies, smell them, appreciate them, maybe be put off by them. Only in that way will you discover what you really like and dislike about their funny little ways and features.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite a lot. In addition to the purchase price of the stove (somewhere between £200 and £1,000) you have to contend with the fact that narrowboat interiors are compactly designed, so for a start something else - shelving unit, sofa - would probably need to be ripped out to provide space for the stove. Then you would need a hearth for it, a hole in the roof with a metal collar for the flue, heatproofing on the wall(s) beside and/or behind it...all these things are subject, as you'll understand, to safety regulations. I have never had a stove retrospectively installed in a boat, but I'd guesstimate that with labour you would get no change out of £2,000. I'm certainly not trying to be a wet blanket, but I suggest that if you want a boat with a stove, find a boat which already has one.

...which brings up the point which no one has (unless I missed it) mentioned yet on this thread: though you may need to overcome problems to do so, GO AND SEE SOME REAL BOATS. Stand in them, poke around in their nooks and crannies, smell them, appreciate them, maybe be put off by them. Only in that way will you discover what you really like and dislike about their funny little ways and features.

Yes, I should.

...oh, to my list, which I hope did not come over as a rant or a lecture, I should add "sit in them" - you don't want a home which is not going to be comfy and relaxing when you get back from work.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The description states "diesel central heating", and radiators are visible on several of the photographs.

There is also evidence of a stove being in situ at some time.

Leonidas - 57ft Trad 2004

The sad thing about this boat is that almost everything movable has been stripped out. 

To my eyes it could become a nice little boat with time and money! Also depends upon a survey!

The fact it is so sparce could be used for bargaining.

• Greenie 1