Side hatch windows

CarolB

Featured Posts

Thinking of fitting windows into the side hatch to allow more light in  when it's too cold to open the hatch doors. Can this be done easily and are there any issues?

That's exactly what we have at present, But the acrylic gets scratched, not great when wet or cold and when removed we loose the light. I would really like to get more light on a permanent basis. 

These glass casements pin back like side hatches but pin back inside behind side hatch. (Mirror glass optional). Plus we have a solid one piece removable glass in frame casement on another hatch.

20140527_201324_resized_zpsfa9fb79c.jpg

20140531_192922_resized_1_zps8d622763.jp

Pathfinder2045_zpsec5d654e.jpg

1 hour ago, CarolB said:

That's exactly what we have at present, But the acrylic gets scratched, not great when wet or cold and when removed we loose the light. I would really like to get more light on a permanent basis. 

Brasso works wonders with a bit of elbow grease.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

What about using laminated glass do it won't scratch easily?

Laminated glass is about strength, not scratch resistance. There are various grades of acrylic which can also increase the scratch resistance, but it sounds like the OP has an acrylic sheet and has other issues with it besides it scratching.

I'm interested in this because I'm planning to add a removable acrylic sheet, but Carol B appears to want something rather more substantial having tried that approach. Mark99's solution looks more substantial, but I can't make out quite how the 'pin back' feature works. Nice look though. 

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Mark99's solution looks more substantial, but I can't make out quite how the 'pin back' feature works. Nice look though. 

Look to the right of the windows in the last shot. You can see the hook hanging down that I presume holds the right hand window open. 

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Laminated glass is about strength, not scratch resistance.

But it's much more scratch resistant than acrylic and is just about as safe. 

Edited by WotEver

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Also looks and "feels" better, and as it's glass you are more likely to treat it with more care even tho it will be hard to break.

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, I see now that the point was probably that glass has better scratch resistance and Robbo added the laminate bit for safety, rather than suggesting that the lamination provides the scratch resistance. Apologies to Robbo for that misunderstanding. 

I also agree the point he added whilst I was typing about the look of glass.it is nicer, although there are more expensive acrylics which bring clarity and scratch resistance. It certainly sounds like something incorporating framing, possibly hinging too, is what the OP is after though.

2 hours ago, CarolB said:

We use proper Perspex which hardly scratches at all compared with acrylic. 

We used a polycarbonate cut to size with bolts and handles then screwed on. It hasn't gone opaque and has resisted scratching. Was a bit pricier but worth it in the long run.

The easy way is to have a secondary internal frame made with a pair of doors glazed with laminated glass ready hung in it. The tricky part is ensuring that the Internal doors are weather proof if you intend to allow them to get rained on. The internal doors can be folded back to the internal linings and secured with turn buttons when a clear opening is required. None of the plastics materials   are really proof against scratching.

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

Ummm... Perspex IS acrylic. 

https://perspex.com/

Point taken but we used to use those sheets of clear plastic found in DIY sheds which all scratched very easily and badly. 

Since buying proper capital P Perspex our screens are virtually scratch free after three years. We have three (front and sides) and put them in every time we moor. 

The advantage of simple sheets over framed hinged inner windows (apart from cost) is that you can leave them in place when it rains as they sit outside the steel. Hinged inner wjndows obviously sit inside and are more prone to rain dring in round them. 

1 hour ago, starman said:

we used to use those sheets of clear plastic found in DIY sheds which all scratched very easily and badly.

My guess is that they're polycarbonate. It's stronger than acrylic but scratches more easily. 

I just had a piece off perspex cut to size, a few retaining clips draught excluder behind it. Fits in perfect. Amazing how much more light comes in. Its the first thing we do when we go to the boat open the hatch and fit the window. For £20 what it cost i don't mind in 18 months if i have to get a new bit cut.

It was a secondary glazing kit. Came with the edging strip and clips. i just cut the clips down to make them thinner.

https://www.twplastics.co.uk/ProductView/2043/easyfix-window-kits

Edited by rustydiver

Thanks for all the comments and advice, loved the casements, but sadly the galley is fitted up to one edge so no opportunity to fit anything that opens in. Really want to install glass into existing hatch, not only will we get light all the time but it will also avoid having to carry and slot in a filler panel.

The problem we have if i can't remove the panel i can't close the hatch of lock it so a catch 22 situation.

Its so thin mine slides behind the radiator to keep it there.

Whoops sorry just read to fit in the existing hatch.:blush:

Edited by rustydiver