Non-slide Frying Pans

system 4-50

Featured Posts

Yes, I mean non-slide not non-stick. I have a standard cooker on my boat and I have bought some saucepans for it which are fine. But the frypan I bought is anything but fine. It slides over the cooker hobs at the slightest touch. I need to buy one that does not do this. I also need it to be non-non-stick! Searching for this on Google is proving difficult. Has anybody else had problems buying suitable cookware for the boat?

Ideally it would be square and have grooves in the base which fit onto the hob, but that is obviously asking too much!

13 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Yes, I mean non-slide not non-stick. I have a standard cooker on my boat and I have bought some saucepans for it which are fine. But the frypan I bought is anything but fine. It slides over the cooker hobs at the slightest touch. I need to buy one that does not do this. I also need it to be non-non-stick! Searching for this on Google is proving difficult. Has anybody else had problems buying suitable cookware for the boat?

Ideally it would be square and have grooves in the base which fit onto the hob, but that is obviously asking too much!

Rough up its bottom with a sander, Or get one with a sticky bottom. You could squirt some silicone on its bottom in squiggles which would bake on and go crusty non-slip. Or wipe its bottom to rough it up with cheap re-cycled toilet paper.

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Rough up its bottom with a sander, Or get one with a sticky bottom. You could squirt some silicone on its bottom in squiggles which would bake on and go crusty non-slip. Or wipe its bottom to rough it up with cheap re-cycled toilet paper.

Ohh, you kinky bugger bizz. 

2 minutes ago, Taslim said:

What's the pan made of and what weight?

Cast iron ones behave themselves properly and can be used on the stove.  You do need to wipe their bottoms occasionally though. :)

That was my thought too. I think the pan weighs a few ounces and just isn't heavy enough to behave. 

Cast-iron is virtually non-stick.  Heat it gently and it's great for frying eggs.  You can get them with ridges for 'grilling' steaks.  Or even with round recesses to stop yer eggs going all over the place.

• Greenie 1

My pet hate with frying pans and boats is that the oil always ends up in one place. Agree with the cast iron option, they are heavier and slightly rough on the base, once burnt in they are as good as most non stick.

problem arises 'coz inland boaters don't expect waves, so don't buy proper boaty stoves.

I blame those peeps who want to cruise, rather than remaining moored up all the time, if nobody moved their boat then the problem would never arise.

Of course, proper boat stoves have fiddles to stop pots sliding about, but it would be sacrilege to suggest such an in no vashun for canal moorers.   B)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, BWM said:

My pet hate with frying pans and boats is that the oil always ends up in one place. Agree with the cast iron option, they are heavier and slightly rough on the base, once burnt in they are as good as most non stick.

then you not only need fiddle rails, you also need gimbals, probably designed to work to counter both athwartships and furrinaft movements.  B)

41 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

then you not only need fiddle rails, you also need gimbals, probably designed to work to counter both athwartships and furrinaft movements.  B)

I have both these facilities on a dometic moonlight cooker, but the gimbal is only only designed to work on one plane, and the boat has a normal rake running downwards towards the stern. I also do at least40% of my cooking on an Epping range, and you'd need some impressive engineering to gimbal that!

I'd agree that the canal is nearly devoid of excellent marine appliances, with chandlery outlets offering converted household /caravan equipment.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

problem arises 'coz inland boaters don't expect waves, so don't buy proper boaty stoves.

I blame those peeps who want to cruise, rather than remaining moored up all the time, if nobody moved their boat then the problem would never arise.

Of course, proper boat stoves have fiddles to stop pots sliding about, but it would be sacrilege to suggest such an in no vashun for canal moorers.   B)

Trouble is when you're moored someone then fills the lock and the boat lists, weeeee everything slides off! Keep moving, stay level .........:boat:

On 06/05/2017 at 13:08, Meanderingviking said:

Trouble is when you're moored someone then fills the lock and the boat lists, weeeee everything slides off! Keep moving, stay level .........:boat:

You're moored somewhere on the Crofton flight again, I'm guessing!!!

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're moored somewhere on the Crofton flight again, I'm guessing!!!

Not quite - Church Pound Bedwyn, good guess though!:clapping:

On 06/05/2017 at 13:59, Meanderingviking said:

Not quite - Church Pound Bedwyn, good guess though!:clapping:

Nice spot. I won't be ringing the church bells there this week though. I'm off to Rugby to do a bit of work on the other boat!

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nice spot. I won't be ringing the church bells there this week though. I'm off to Rugby to do a bit of work on the other boat!

Have fun! :D

I agree with other posters, a heavy frying pan or skillet is better. Cast iron is great, even nicer if enameled (e.g. Le Creuset) but a bit heavy for tossing pancakes. With the boat that I bought in 1995 I inherited a large, thick, aluminium pan (Skyline?) with angled sides and a copper bottom; big enough for stir-fries and fried breakfasts, light enough to toss or saute and easy to clean with a scourer - outlasted every 'Tefal' and cast iron pan I have owned.

Now, living on the land, I wish I had kept that flat based, thick aluminium/copper bsed pan. My cheap 'Tefal' pan soon developed a convex base that would spin, if not slide, on the horizontal ceramic hob. My solution was to invert it and hit it with my fist producing a slightly warped, concave bottom.

HTH, Alan