Mystery object

Featured Posts

Tied at Radford Semele, just E of Leamington on the GU last night, next to this strange beast. It's about 20" high and what looks like a pipe stub on the left actually conceals a Torx headed machine screw. The opposite side is the same, it looks as if removing the screws would allow the top to hinge up to the right.

What does the team think?

IMG_0592.JPG.5637cbbc1e426eaa5d23a865da9591ea.JPG

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Nah, take the money! 

Hughie Green, eh? Now there's a flashback for you!

Just a little tickle folks, just a little tickle. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hughie Green, eh?

I'll see your Hughie Green and raise you Michael Miles. 

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Ooh, now I come to think of it...!

Bob D-W did a load of voiceover work on Take Your Pick. 

Nowadays we have Peter Dickson doing a pastiche of B D-W and having the cheek to sue any other voiceover copying 'The Dickson style'. I wouldn't mind if it was his style and not a stolen style in the first place. 

I had the honour of working with Bob many years ago and I was discussing his 'Pathé' style with him. He gave a lovely cod voiceover... "Here comes Tommy, over the hill. Lost all his fingers but it's still thumbs up for England!"

It would be interesting to see more context, ie a photo from further away so we can see what it might do.  I think it covers a valve.  At some stage a taller valve has been fitted - hence the speed hump.

How about it being a junction box for cables running along under the towpath?

Or, if we want a more entertaining idea, would that box be wide enough that it could be the entrance to a secret CRT bunker, like in Lost?

"What does the team think?"

It is clearly suffering from a rust, probably due to its current location. It should be re-potted as soon as possible and covered in a thick mulch. Add more compost in winter and see how it performs next year.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Just a little tickle folks, just a little tickle. 

I'll see your Hughie Green and raise you Michael Miles. 

I don't know which is worse.....this conversation.....or me knowing what it's about!

Bod