Water points between Fenny Compton and lower Heyford.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Also, if you miss those or they're busy, there's a tap and hosepipe at the side of Cropredy lock cottage. The tenant, Richard, kindly allows boaters to use these to fill up.

There's water at Sovereign Wharf in Banbury but I'm unsure if passers-by are allowed to use it.

47 minutes ago, billS said:

Cropredy - below the road bridge, by the turning point

Banbury - below the lock

Aynho - on the south wall of the wharf shop

Isn't there one above the lock in Banbury?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, b0atman said:

An interesting question about marinas letting you fill up ? What if you buy diesel or have a pump out would it be ok then.

Some do some dont. Here at Heyford its rare to let people use the water point in the yard simply because there is too much going on with the hire fleet.

43 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Water being metered what is price per litre ?

Thames water is 0.13p a litre for water, and 0.08p for waste water. So say £1 to fill a tank would be very reasonable.

As I live in London I feel I should get a discount, as our water has been used several times before it gets to us. In Cropredy you get the fresh stuff...

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thames water is 0.13p a litre for water, and 0.08p for waste water. So say £1 to fill a tank would be very reasonable.

As I live in London I feel I should get a discount, as our water has been used several times before it gets to us. In Cropredy you get the fresh stuff...

At home I only pay for fresh water, the waste water goes straight back to the soil.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Also, if you miss those or they're busy, there's a tap and hosepipe at the side of Cropredy lock cottage. The tenant, Richard, kindly allows boaters to use these to fill up.

There's water at Sovereign Wharf in Banbury but I'm unsure if passers-by are allowed to use it.

Not open very often . 

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

186 litres if tank empty would be £24.18 wow .Should there not be a nought in front of the 13p or its it the famous London prices

13 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I wrote 0.13p, not £0.13 (nor £0.13p).  

So 186 litres would be 24p. The prices are the same throughout the Thames Water region.

Senior moment thats a better figure .Sewage is I believe based on water used ? One marina owner argued that sewage in the form of grey water goes into CRTs water not into the sewer pipes .

35 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Senior moment thats a better figure .Sewage is I believe based on water used ? One marina owner argued that sewage in the form of grey water goes into CRTs water not into the sewer pipes .

As always, this is more complex than I had assumed! Basically, if you have a meter you pay for water used. If you are connected to the main drains/sewers then you pay for that as well, as you say based on water used. However you can get a rebate if you can prove that more than 10% of your water does not go into the sewers (as would be the case for a marina owner). There are also some adjustments to do with surface water drainage (eg rain that goes into the sewers). And of course there is a whole separate system (previously the water rates) for people who do not have meters. There must be some who are connected to the drains but use  a well or spring for their water supply. And in some parts of the country you pay different companies for your water and for your sewerage.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/My-Account/Billing-and-payment/Our-charges/Metered-charges

A mate of mine used to run a taxi business. He got permission to put a static van on a bit of waste ground behind a local social club. He had no mains water and just used to walk across to the club to fill a kettle. PortaPotti loo. He received a water rates bill from Severn Trent. He pointed out that he had no mains water. They replied that it was for surface water drainage, basically the rain that fell on his cabin that then drained into the sewers. No amount of pointing out by him that no more rain fell on his office than used to fall onto the ground before it was there had any effect. He went to court over it. He lost. 

44 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

in some parts of the country you pay different companies for your water and for your sewerage.

Yes, when we lived in Heanor prior to moving here they had that system. I used to fill in the payee names on my cheque-book stubs with "The Lord giveth" and "The Lord taketh away".

22 hours ago, WotEver said:

A mate of mine used to run a taxi business. He got permission to put a static van on a bit of waste ground behind a local social club. He had no mains water and just used to walk across to the club to fill a kettle. PortaPotti loo. He received a water rates bill from Severn Trent. He pointed out that he had no mains water. They replied that it was for surface water drainage, basically the rain that fell on his cabin that then drained into the sewers. No amount of pointing out by him that no more rain fell on his office than used to fall onto the ground before it was there had any effect. He went to court over it. He lost. 

This happens quite often. A friend and I challenged something very similar around 35 years ago and after several letters each way we took advice and paid the bill, a complete and utter con.