Erewash Canal

pearley

Featured Posts

Been up there twice before but on both occasions went from Trent Lock to Great Northern Basin in the day. Planning to go again later this month but only like to do 2 to 3 hours a day. Good places to stay overnight?

We overnighted in Ilkeston by the playing fields below Gallows Inn. Its brick/stone towpath/bank but there is armco shuttering at water level which we got goat hooks around. Locals friendly and good dog walking. Found this to be a convinient half way stop as in many other places the banks were too shallow or it looked uninviting.

I would say pad more moorings in Sandiacre. Good but busy road. The long pound between Stanton and Hallam fields is good. After that I'd say between the railway bridge and shipley lock is good then Langley mill. 

Langley Mill has a great boatyard with welcoming staff and good local knowledge too. ;)

We look forward to seeing you at Langley Mill! 

Kind regards

Dan 

I have to say the only time I've done the Erewash the feral youth at a lock in the middle were enough to put me off...they kept trying to get aboard and were discussing how to drain pounds and break lock gates. Chatting to the BW guys as it was then revealed it had taken 3 days to refill pounds after they had been drained plus a number of the anti vandal locks had been glued shut meaning the leakage on the gates was more than the one operational paddle! 

Hopefully it's got better!