Mooring around Oxford

SteveLevis

Featured Posts

Hi all,

...new to forum so appols if this is in the wrong place. Planning a trip down to Oxford by the Oxford canal and just wondering about "mooring options".

I am aware that they are limited, just wondering if anybody can recommend some places on the outskirts? (hopefully within walking distance of Oxford).

many thanks,

There are a number of VMs between Thrupp and the north end of Kidlington. From there you can walk to a bus stop - regular and frequent buses to Oxford!

When I was there a few weeks ago, there were moorings free near the Plough in Wolvercote - again there are regular buses from there to Oxford (about 2 miles). 

Any further south and it can get a bit tricky, I think. Others will have more recent information...

There are a few 48 hour visitor moorings in Oxford itself, including one at the end of the arm (you have to either reverse in to it or reverse out from it).

I have never failed to find a mooring in Oxford, even in August. My advice would be to go into Oxford and if no moorings are are arable,  the drop through Isi lock to turn atround, come back up and continue out of Oxford until you can find a mooring.

There are pleasant moorings on the Thames above Osney lock along East Street if you are suitably licensed but there is a charge. 
I would second the idea of mooring at the end of the canal but walk down and check it's available before struggling past the residential boats. There are water taps there and it is s very short walk into town. Expect some winos hanging around.

Phil

1 hour ago, SteveLevis said:

..hi all and thanks for taking the time to reply, some good info...

Stu

Or you could stop at Lower Heyford with oodles of 14 day moorings and a railway station with train to Oxford taking a mere 15 minutes.

6 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There are a number of VMs between Thrupp and the north end of Kidlington. From there you can walk to a bus stop - regular and frequent buses to Oxford!

When I was there a few weeks ago, there were moorings free near the Plough in Wolvercote - again there are regular buses from there to Oxford (about 2 miles). 

Any further south and it can get a bit tricky, I think. Others will have more recent information...

And the pub was pretty good when last there.

6 hours ago, philjw said:

There are pleasant moorings on the Thames above Osney lock along East Street if you are suitably licensed but there is a charge. 
I would second the idea of mooring at the end of the canal but walk down and check it's available before struggling past the residential boats

There is NO charge for 24 hours mooring on East Street. Let the Osney locky know as soon as you arrive, if there is nobody there, take a picture. The signs on the lampposts are operated in a way similar to car parking in service stations.

We aways try and moor in the arm . Walk down and check that there is a mooring available  , if there is, reverse or drive down and reverse or drive out   . Not usually too noisy or any trouble makers . The herbal natural aroma in the area can be interesting at times . Quick walk into the center from there. Jerico  usually has room . Mooring above Osney also good , and 24hrs free . Thrupp Is good , you can catch a bus from the main road into Oxford  . Enjoy your trip and the visit to Oxford  . 

We found the VM at Jericho very noisy at night. There is a lot of activity on the nearby railway which sounded like rolling stock being shunted around at all hours of the night and morning.

Some of the VMs near Oxford are very shallow thanks to stone from the edge falling in. Approach with caution! Aristotle Lane is a nice spot, think it is good for a week and handy for Summertown and Jericho. On the Thames the bank just upstream of the entrance to the Sheepwash channel is good, very quiet between the trees all the way up to the footbridge by Bossoms but you might need to clear some veg. 24h limit but the signs are well hidden and you would probably be OK for longer. East Street is £5 for the second night and then goes up to silly prices.

There is a new pub pontoon by the Perch about 1.5 km upstream of Osney Bridge, about 30m long.

Martin/

On 2017-5-4 at 13:03, Scholar Gypsy said:

At the Plough mooring the railway line is very close, and seems to be used for noisy freight trains in the middle of the night.

We prefer further on, the VM by Aristotle Lane bridge (cant remember the number)

Steve

1 hour ago, Just Heaven said:

At the Plough mooring the railway line is very close, and seems to be used for noisy freight trains in the middle of the night.

We prefer further on, the VM by Aristotle Lane bridge (cant remember the number)

Steve

That's true. I like trains - our marina in Ely has long container trains rumbling past to and from Felixtowe, pretty much all the time!