Solo Blacking

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for your observations ; interesting stuff to know. I'm wondering how well the Interzone might adhere to sound bitumen. Barring any reaction,  I'd have though it would be like the proverbial stuff to a blanket. Did you try it or perhaps ask International? 

According to the spec sheet it can go over some previous sound aged coatings depending on compatibility. However, a paint system is only as good as its "weakest" layer so I really don't see the point of painting epoxy over bitumen.

http://www.international-pc.com/PDS/2589-P-eng-A4.pdf

On 17/07/2017 at 06:15, Grassman said:

I plan to apply the blacking over the Vactan treated parts once they have dried thoroughly but I'm concerned because I've read elsewhere that paint sometimes doesn't adhere to the Vactan properly and was wondering if that would be the same with bitumen blacking. Does anybody know if this is correct?  Should I perhaps lightly rub down or wash off the Vactan treated areas before applying the blacking?

I really wouldn't worry about it. With bitumen you'll be doing the whole job again in a few years anyway however well you prep the surface.

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

So, what about the overlap, did it seem as though the 954 would be compatible with the bitumen type of thing, it would seem to be possible to do some sort of test panel by buying some different coatings. In former days one could ask International for samples to carry out test s, but those days have gone, I suppose.

I only applied 954 to prepared steel so have no idea if it is compatible to bitumn. I still have some 954 left over so can try a small mix and apply this to an existing bitumen covered area of the hull.

On 22/07/2017 at 19:36, Bloomsberry said:

I only applied 954 to prepared steel so have no idea if it is compatible to bitumn. I still have some 954 left over so can try a small mix and apply this to an existing bitumen covered area of the hull.

Ok, I did a small mix of 954 yesterday and applied it on top of an area of bitumen on the hull which is currently in sound condition. I tested it today and it does appear to have adhered very well, I've used sharp chissel to try and peel the 954 off and all I've managed to achieve is to scar the 954 surface instead. In no instance did the 954 part from the bitumen.

Points to take into account are

1) Area treated was above the waterline, applied by brush

2) Test was only done 24 hours after application

3) Only one coat used, I assume others will create a more durable surface.

So maybe taking the hull back to bare metal isn't required if the bitumen is in good condition. Only other thought is that would it be able to withstand being pressure washed when next taken out of the water.