Diesel pipes do my head in - help!

starman

Featured Posts

Whenever I have to tinker with the JP's high pressure diesel pipes I end up with a leak at an injector/pipe union. 

Had another today - connection was fine, had to undo it to sort another issue, done it up as carefully as possible. Leaking!

Does everyone have this problem or is it me? 

I tend to experience more problems with the spill rail connections, but that's more of an inconvenience than air getting into the injector pipes.

I had my injector pipe ends 're-formed' by my injector man. Don't know what he did but it worked. (he didn't charge me but since he'd overhauled my pump and injectors I wasn't surprised.)

Frank 

Edited by Slim

A quote from the guy who I was apprenticed to " You want to have it clean enough to eat your dinner off"  Your reformed ends were most likely done with a pipe flareing tool

Yes and the mating surfaces have to be exact. When I was working on a, supposedly, broken BMC 1.5 I bought a couple of new high pressure pipes for it. the pipes are solid and there are slight differences in the way they curl round to meet the injectors. Also when the pipes are removed undoing the union nut can, slightly, distort the pipe. All this and the absolute cleanliness, not easy in depths of an engine ole, required can make these very high pressure pipes difficult to seal properly.

Yes I think lining the mating surfaces perfectly is the problem - especially when you can't see them clearly as on the JP. 

A shame there isn't some more foolproof connection system - I'd happily re-pipe the lot if there was. 

On 5/1/2017 at 17:38, starman said:

Whenever I have to tinker with the JP's high pressure diesel pipes I end up with a leak at an injector/pipe union. 

Had another today - connection was fine, had to undo it to sort another issue, done it up as carefully as possible. Leaking!

Does everyone have this problem or is it me? 

I had this problem with my JP2. I was advised by an old diesel engineer to always connect the pipe to the injector first, which allows it to seat properly. Once tight, then connect the pipe to the pump. It worked for me. No problems since.

4 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I had this problem with my JP2. I was advised by an old diesel engineer to always connect the pipe to the injector first, which allows it to seat properly. Once tight, then connect the pipe to the pump. It worked for me. No problems since.

Funnily enough I just cured my present leak with something similar - loosed the injector, tightened the pipe union, re-tightened the injector. Leak cured - this time. 

On the other hand, that's how I did it first time and it leaked. :-)