Dunton

Glynn

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

The same as most historic/ vintage kit no longer produced Excellent quality one of the Rolls Royce of lock windlesses

Having witnessed one have the head snap from the handle, I'm not sure I would agree about quality.

This seems to be a potential failing of all alloy based windlasses - we have now had two of the Walsh ones do the same.

A shame that nobody produces a good forged steel one!

29 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Having witnessed one have the head snap from the handle, I'm not sure I would agree about quality.

This seems to be a potential failing of all alloy based windlasses - we have now had two of the Walsh ones do the same.

I believe Rose Narrowboats are looking into producing decent steel windlass.

Edited by Ray T

Just now, Ray T said:

I believe Rose Narrowboats are looking into producing decent steel windlass.

I know you have to pay to get quality, but if it is like their (doubtless excellent!) recently produced water cans it will not be cheap!

I do actually have a Dunton Double, and whilst it is nicer on the eye than other modern windlasses, I don't think it offers any great advantage over cheaper offerings, and it tends to stay in the cabin.

A term I learnt in the offshore world: "Buy cheap, get cheap." However some folks, me included, are prepared to pay exhorbitant prices for vintage windlass which in essence some are usless on the system today. 

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

A term I learnt in the offshore world: "Buy cheap, get cheap." However some folks, me included, are prepared to pay exhorbitant prices for vintage windlass which in essence some are usless on the system today. 

My missus has several different windlasses for different places her fave is her dunton double as it is so light. I dont use one they are for women.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I know you have to pay to get quality, but if it is like their (doubtless excellent!) recently produced water cans it will not be cheap!

I do actually have a Dunton Double, and whilst it is nicer on the eye than other modern windlasses, I don't think it offers any great advantage over cheaper offerings, and it tends to stay in the cabin.

If you want to get rid of it because of lack of use I will buy it from you ;)

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm at cross purposes here I was referring to the pre 1900 forged ones  not the modern cast stuff