Finishing off the restoration of a boat - opportunity

stort_mark

Featured Posts

In 2007, we bought our boat, a 57'6" trad (now a semi-trad) and we had a massive amount of work done the following year. Ongoing engine and associated problems meant the boat wasn't used as much as we wanted and so the work was never quite finished off. Bits and pieces were done over three years, but we never got to the stage where we did the final repainting and finishing off.

Sadly, my wife and I decided to go our separate ways, and it has taken three years to get to a final settlement, and the boat hasn't been used at all in that time. It is sitting on the North Oxford, getting tattier inside and outside as the days go by. The boat was always my dream, since I was a teenager, and I am keen to get her back in working order and finish off what we started a decade ago.

However, distance (I now live on the south coast) and time (and - to be honest - a lack of skill) prevent me from spending time finishing off the work.

So I am looking for someone who is interested in taking this on as a paid project. My estimate is that it will take a month or two to do the multitude of small tasks and I will pay for the work and also happy to allow the person to use the boat for a few months too. It provides accommodation and work for a while. I admit I'm not quite sure how the insurance would work for this, but am sure problems like that can be overcome.

My sense (and experience in 2007/2008) is that the professionals will not want to do this kind of work because it is a lot of small tasks, isn't particularly glamorous and won't win awards! But I am hoping there is someone who is interested in taking on the task.

Photos  of boat 'as is', sketch/description of what is required, budget and time frame for work may well get you a response.

At first sight it seems like you are hoping to make your dream come true on the cheap.

44 minutes ago, Taslim said:

Photos  of boat 'as is', sketch/description of what is required, budget and time frame for work may well get you a response.

At first sight it seems like you are hoping to make your dream come true on the cheap.

Not at all. I'm prepared to pay the appropriate rate, that was clear from the first post. If there's interest in the project, then I can discuss with the company or person involved. I've already had PMs about it (in which I have provided more details and a budget). Why would anyone think I am trying to do this "on the cheap"??