3/8 whitworth

fittie

Featured Posts

I know this might be in the wrong area but I thought that more people would see it.

Can anyone help? 

I'm looking for around a dozen long brass, domed, 3/8 Whitworth nuts for a Lister JP

Cheers

paul

I believe that you will find them on the stationary engine parts site listed as lister D cylinder head nuts, sold in packs of three. I used them to hold down the rocker covers on my Jp3, they aren't exactly the right size for the studs but close enough if not over tightened.

Just noticed the link that wotever attached!

Edited by BWM
re reading the previous post

13 minutes ago, BWM said:

I believe that you will find them on the stationary engine parts site listed as lister D cylinder head nuts, sold in packs of three. I used them to hold down the rocker covers on my Jp3, they aren't exactly the right size for the studs but close enough if not over tightened.

Yeah, they're 7/16, which isn't a million miles away from 3/8 so as you say they'd make a sloppy fit. 

45 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, they're 7/16, which isn't a million miles away from 3/8 so as you say they'd make a sloppy fit. 

Exactly that, ok for retaining things but not for bolting down under too much pressure. I wonder if Tony Redshaw might be worth asking, i've noticed many of his reconditioned engines have what looks like a new set of tall dome nuts.

16 minutes ago, fittie said:

Thanks one and all, I'm looking for the more...vintage style where the hex nut is just slightly domed if you get what I mean.

Not really ;)

Please post a piccy and source if you find any :)

32 minutes ago, fittie said:

Thanks one and all, I'm looking for the more...vintage style where the hex nut is just slightly domed if you get what I mean.

Is Tony Redshaw on here?

I don't think so but he has a face book and web page.

http://www.vintagediesels.co.uk/services/

Edited by mark99

52 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not really ;)

Please post a piccy and source if you find any :)

I'll second that, there are quite a few missing from my Jp.

On 01/05/2017 at 14:16, BWM said:

Ouch! On that basis you could probably use a metric fitting!

54 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ouch! On that basis you could probably use a metric fitting!

The rocker covers don't need more than a nip to keep them in position, and these ones are a lister pattern and as such look the part. The tpi on metric may work, but the modern dome nuts are fairly squat.

I certainly wouldn't use them for a manifold or similar !

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

The rocker covers don't need more than a nip to keep them in position, and these ones are a lister pattern and as such look the part. The tpi on metric may work, but the modern dome nuts are fairly squat.

I certainly wouldn't use them for a manifold or similar !

I wasn't seriously suggesting the use of anything except the correct size. Near enough ain't good enough, whether metric, Imperial or Chinese. 

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I was about to suggest that but could not remember the exact size when the UNC & BSW pitches became incompatible. Probably 7/16 or 1/2 inch

I can't remember either, so I googled the two sizes ^_^

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I was about to suggest that but could not remember the exact size when the UNC & BSW pitches became incompatible. Probably 7/16 or 1/2 inch

Pre war whitworth nut measurement changed during ww2 due to scrimping, every little counted in those days.