3/8 whitworth

fittie

Featured Posts

I was going to suggest what used to be called "acorn nuts" but those look taller. 

Try brian popes in Stockport 0161 480 8322. He has all sorts of odd imperial oddball stuff.

Or there's a non ferrous material supplier in Salford who will sell you the hex bar, to run them up yourself. 

Like others have pointed out, UNC ones will do, if you can't get whit, though the A/F  size will be different.

3/8 whit is 0·600 A/F.  Whereas 3/8 UNC is 9/16 A/F . Doesn't  really matter if your replacing them all. 

23 hours ago, BWM said:

Pre war whitworth nut measurement changed during ww2 due to scrimping, every little counted in those days.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

The hard part may well be whether you can get any hex brass of the correct across flats size.  UN and Metric sizes are available (and either would be fine to a non purist, once the right thread is put up the centre) but BSF and BSW  size brass is not common. (Nor is BA).

N

2 hours ago, Giant said:

Hmm. We are also short of a bunch of these. If nobody else has any sources for them, I could make up a batch. Anyone else interested?

I'd definitely be interested in both the manifold size and the ones for the engine side covers, silencer, etc. 

Hmm. I've found a source for both 0.600" and 0.710" AF hex brass bar, so could do both the 3/8 and 5/16 Whitworth sizes. But would need to buy a metre of each! Might be cheaper to just mill off a bigger bit unless lots wanted or I can find a supplier for shorter lengths.

Will need to measure up an original of each to get the right length and dome radius