Witham Navigable Drains

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Guess you've seen this one

https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/canals_rivers/witham_navigable_drains/pdfs/wnd_map

We went in many years ago and got stuck in what seemed liked miles of  weed. Ended up pulling the boat out again backwards 

I see that some of the drains are administered by the Environment Agency.  Do you need a separate licence for these?

We went and had a look around them last year . 62ft . Worth going along to the office in Boston and having a chat with water commissioners . They will advise you on depth also a map with bridge heights and warn you that you are on your own they would not be in a position to assist with boaty problems . Must add that there is no lock landing on the drain side , one hell of a ladder to climb up and down  . Wonderful for overnight mooring in the drains , so quiet. We also arranged to go through Block sluice, give that a go if you have time, ask CRT in the lock office in Boston for the info .... Bunny

I explored the Witham Drains in 2015, details here. https://nbsg.wordpress.com/witham-navigable-drains-the-view-from-a-narrowboat/  with various links to other sites, including more adventurous journeys that others have attempted. The upper /eastern section on the map (ie above Cowbridge lock, south to Maud Foster and north along the Stone bridge drain, is EA but I don't think anyone will check if you need a licence. The Witham Fourth were very helpful, just give them a call a few days beforehand to let them know what you plan to do. They were very helpful and will tell you if the water is above or below the nominal level.

The IWA's map is the best I found. - link above - and there is also a helpful guidance note.

Provided the water levels are close to normal you  should not have any difficulty with the route we took. You may need to go under the road bridge near to Maud Foster windmill to be able to turn- it was quite tight for our 57 footer.

If you can do Hawkesbury Junction then you will be able to manage the turn at the NW corner. This is the closest we got to the village of New York, but it did enable me to say we had been to Denver, Boston and New York for our holidays.

We had no problem with weed, though picked up a bit of barbed wire which made an annoying rattling noise until I got fed up and went down the weed hatch. All in all, well worth doing. Do not be put off by locals saying “You can’t get through here …”

We were lucky to cross the Wash on the day planned, so did not have an opportunity to explore Black Sluice (or the Sleaford navigation).

I have a further helpful map which I will post later - can't do via remote access.

ETA: the access to the downstream side of Anton's goat lock is a bit tricky. If you don't fancy the ladder you can drop people off at the pub opposite and (after suitable refreshment) they can walk round over the road bridge.

wnd_track.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
Incompetence

Thanks - I had read your blog before. The Witham Fourth website does not seem to mention navigation at all - who is the best contact, did you find?

We have only been down to Boston once in 2012. Did take a look at the the Anton's Gowt lock without attempting to go through (we did not really have the time on that trip) So we have seen 'the ladder' . . . actually my recollection is that it is not worse than some of the deepest locks (see another active thread re Bath locks!). However, for people who live generally without much by way of locks, or at least self-operate ones, then I guess it is most unusual to have to climb or descend such a ladder (and I'm not good at heights generally)

I have, of course, scoured Google for as much info as I can find so this request is very much about personal experiences (the more recent the better) or otherwise hidden gems of web sites. Thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

I'd be particularly interested in anyone who has navigated either Black Sluice, esp not in a convoy, or Kyme Eau (Sleaford).

Ta everyone for your useful responses.

We went as far as South Kyme about 20 years ago on a hire boat. It rained and we were advised not to try going further up so it was a long reverse. Quite surreal in that people brought their  children out to see the boat. There is a very low bridge on the approach to the village and we just managed to scrape under it on the return. I see it is currently shown as 6ft 6ins.

We also went down the drain to Cowbridge and then into Boston but couldn't find anywhere to tie up other than railings about 6ft above the boat.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Thanks - I had read your blog before. The Witham Fourth website does not seem to mention navigation at all - who is the best contact, did you find?

We have only been down to Boston once in 2012. Did take a look at the the Anton's Gowt lock without attempting to go through (we did not really have the time on that trip) So we have seen 'the ladder' . . . actually my recollection is that it is not worse than some of the deepest locks (see another active thread re Bath locks!). However, for people who live generally without much by way of locks, or at least self-operate ones, then I guess it is most unusual to have to climb or descend such a ladder (and I'm not good at heights generally)

I have, of course, scoured Google for as much info as I can find so this request is very much about personal experiences (the more recent the better) or otherwise hidden gems of web sites. Thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

I'd be particularly interested in anyone who has navigated either Black Sluice, esp not in a convoy, or Kyme Eau (Sleaford).

I just rang their public number. I don't think it is a large organisation! They did ask if they could add my blog to their website (to create a navigation section) but I don't think they have done so.

There is one mooring by the windmill on the Maud Foster.

I suspect the thing people don't like about the ladder is that it is not recessed. Don't know why that makes a difference.

I think Gowt is a corruption of Gate.  If I went  again I would go up to Bolingbrooke, ideally with another boat in pushme-pullyou mode.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Have a look on our website for example the 2006 trip at http://keeping-up.co.uk/Canals/2006Boston/2006Drains.htm or the 2011 trip at  http://keeping-up.co.uk/Canals/2011East/2011Easthome.htm  there are pages on the Drains, Kyme Eau, and Black Sluice

48 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Have a look on our website for example the 2006 trip at http://keeping-up.co.uk/Canals/2006Boston/2006Drains.htm or the 2011 trip at  http://keeping-up.co.uk/Canals/2011East/2011Easthome.htm  there are pages on the Drains, Kyme Eau, and Black Sluice

Thanks - yes I had found those blogs before and most encouraging they are! Still won't know what time will have as Christine has to fit in a trip to London in the middle of our time. Will just have to play it by ear when we get there but preparation makes it that bit easier.

Around the turn of the millenium we took Wyrd and Meteor around the drains on three occasions. We reached New Bolingbroke and the junction of West Fen and Castle Dike near Revesby Bridge. Accompanied by Star we went as far as Hagnaby Lock but although the levels were OK the amount of builders rubble in the lock stopped further progress. Winding a full length butty was problematical in places  but even at the entrance to the New Bolingbroke drain we were only short by a couple of feet and the soft mud allowed us to drag Meteor round. There was clearance in the Bunkers Hill 'tunnel' even with the cloths up but IIRC  we had to remove the cloths and stands around Frithville for a couple of bridges.  In the late seventies we had Avon as far as New Bolingbroke and the local Boston paper ran an article with photographs. Restoring the basin at New Bolingbroke would give a worthwhile destination and encourage the use of the WND. East Fen lock should be restored and then the way would be open for a route to Skegness. Regards, HughC.

A couple of further maps - not for navigation. On the first you can just work out the icon for the Maude Foster Windmill. On the second you can see the various plans for taking out the wiggly bits on the Witham.   Some of the other maps refer to "Anthony's Gote" so maybe it was a goat after all.

Both from my favourite Christmas present this year: Maps of the Witham Fens 13th to 19th Century, Ed. RC Wheeler

maude.jpg.2323e2a2d5182fb5017aea54286e7c2d.jpgwiggles.jpg.4297e1d9b5c3a7542a1861238766092f.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

• 11 months later...

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I can't find any info on mooring arrangements for the Witham Navigable Drains.  Are there designated visitor moorings?  Can you just moor up anywhere?  If so, how long can you stay in one spot?

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I can't find any info on mooring arrangements for the Witham Navigable Drains.  Are there designated visitor moorings?  Can you just moor up anywhere?  If so, how long can you stay in one spot?

Given the general level of traffic on the WND I suspect nobody will be inconvenienced if you just stop mid channel.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Given the general level of traffic on the WND I suspect nobody will be inconvenienced if you just stop mid channel.

We did, for many hours while I tried to extract us from the endless weed and get back out of the WND's

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We did, for many hours while I tried to extract us from the endless weed and get back out of the WND's

Do I detect that you were not over enameared with your visit to the sewers?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Do I detect that you were not over enameared with your visit to the sewers?

You do indeed. We stopped outside the lock entrance for lunch on a very hot summers day.After consuming a bottle or two thought it would be a fabulous idea to enter the WND. Twenty four hours later, we were back where we started after a very frustrating day.

I tried clearing the prop of the weed,but there was just too much. I ended up pulling the boat backwards out of the drains (seemed like 2 miles to me).

Just now, rusty69 said:

You do indeed. We stopped outside the lock entrance for lunch on a very hot summers day.After consuming a bottle or two thought it would be a fabulous idea to enter the WND. Twenty four hours later, we were back where we started after a very frustrating day.

I tried clearing the prop of the weed,but there was just too much. I ended up pulling the boat backwards out of the drains (seemed like 2 miles to me).

I would say try it at this time of year but with all the rain we have had of late perhaps not :rolleyes:

Interesting stuff re. weed growth, but does anyone know the answer to my question?  If, say, I holed myself up in a quiet cul-de-sac on the drains from mid-may to September and didn't move, would any authority have any sanction against me?

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would say try it at this time of year but with all the rain we have had of late perhaps not :rolleyes:

But the drains are not open for navigation until May

2 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Interesting stuff re. weed growth, but does anyone know the answer to my question?  If, say, I holed myself up in a quiet cul-de-sac on the drains from mid-may to September and didn't move, would any authority have any sanction against me?

But the drains are not open for navigation until May

What to the WND Board say on their website about mooring?

Can't say we have read it with any great interest as we didn't get very far with the dinghy before weed stopped play so wouldn't take the "big" boat on there!

Pretty sure we have seen boats going through the lock before the beginning of May in previous years.