Wicks expanding foam ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all :)

I have some tins of Wicks expanding foam and i am having difficulty in finding out if it is closed cell The one i have been using is but i have run out of that and near finished the job at hand but for the need for about 3 more tins.

The specs does not say either way.

Does anybody know if it is open or closed cell foam ?

This is the one

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Expanding-Foam-Filler-750ml/p/109746

Cheers

Wayne :)

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Dunno Wayne. I suggest you try calling them and ask. Someone should be able to find out but maybe not till Tuesday?

I need to know asap as i need to get it finished this weekend.

I would get more sense asking at the corner shop from experience when asking Wicks staff in the past lol.

I need more timber so if i cant find out tonight i will get some more Soudal tomorrow when at BnQ.

Open cell has a bigger yield than closed cell. Also a softer spongier look/ feel. https://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/closed-cell-versus-open-cell-pa-3845.php

both soudal and wickes expand thirty times so about the same take from that what you will can't you try a blast and see what the look of it is?

easier said than done I know.

I have been using the Soudal gun foam but the Wicks is use once, easy to try it out but a waste of a tin.   

All it is for is filling the cavity below the gunnels.

Get a small piece cut it in two and sink in water for 24 hours. If closed cell it will not be possible to squeeze water out after drying the piece, if open cell you will be able to squeeze drips out.  I think wickes spray expanding foam is closed cell but I am not near a can to be certain.

All expanding foams will be comprised by a mixture of open and closed cells once fully expanded and cured - the difference between how the two cells form is simply how far the bubbles expand and whether the cell walls rupture. Since the expansion of foams applied by users are by their nature subject to all sorts of variables (shelf-life of product, application temperature, void volume, etc) the management of closed:open cell ratio would be very difficult, but in general I wouldn't worry about it too much - expanding foams (including sprayfoam) will all be fairly similar in that respect. If you really want to ensure that you have a good proportion of closed cells in your insulation foam then you're far better off going with foam made under controlled conditions in a factory: i.e Kingspan or Celotex board.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Murflynn said:

in which case why does it have to be closed cell?

Closed cell foams (or foams with a high proportion of closed cells) have much better thermal insulation properties than open cell foams.

Open cell foams are better for other applications such as cushion packaging and acoustic insulation. 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Murflynn said:

in which case why does it have to be closed cell?

It will be a lot better incase any moisture does get in.

I know its only for a small area but with me being a `faffer` as T says and i Um and Arr about this and that. 

20 minutes ago, W+T said:

It will be a lot better incase any moisture does get in.

Yes, that's another good reason.

If the Wickes stuff is marketed as being suitable for filling gaps in insulation then I'd just go ahead and use it. It will be more or less the same as any other can of expanding polyurethane foam. Is it fire-rated by the way? The pink fire-rated stuff tends to expand a bit less in my experience.

Edited by blackrose

My current electric (no pun intended) yogurt pot was bought as a worn out open fishing boat (Bonwitco for those who may be interested).  An informal survey by a qualified colleague declared the boat to be sound, but when I went to collect it on its trailer I noticed the GRP false floor was a bit springy, and the boat was impossibly heavy.  The first job when I got it home was to cut out the internals.  I removed about 200kg of wet foam 'buoyancy' that was under the floor and inside the built-in buoyancy tanks.  Luckily I had bought the Mk.1 version that was single-skinned, and not the Mk.2 that is double skinned - if the foam between the skins had suffered the same fate the boat would have been worthless.

I replaced the floor with hexagrip, filling the space below it with new PU foam from Wickes aerosols, but incorporated an inverted piece of half round rain gutter over the hollow within the shallow keel which now keeps bilge water clear of the foam and incorporates a mini bilge pump. 

....  and the moral is: never trust an amateur 'expert' surveyor.

2 hours ago, W+T said:

It will be a lot better in case any moisture does get in.

under the gunwales?