Featured Posts

Can anyone help?

I've recently registered on the site but seem to be having some problems. Every time I log in the site doesn't recognise my password and I have to reset it. Even though I reset it to the original password, it still doesn't recognise it next time I log in.

Also I can't log into the chat facility. It says may group doesn't have access, but I'm not in a group. Well as far as I know I'm not.

I've sent 3 or 4 messages to the organisers, via the site message facility, and have had no reply.

Is there a tech problem with the site or something, can anyone help?

Cheers

Giggs

Hi Athy

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm a bit confused though. I'm not sure what you mean by the "Personal Message system". When I wrote about my password problem I used the 'contact us' tab. I assumed this was to alert tech to problems. I didn't realise I had to post messages, on a site I couldn't log into, before I could use it. If you mean the chat room. Then it might have been a good idea for there to be some information about it on the chat front page. Rather than a message telling me my group does not have access, don't you think?

I've just tried to log in and again the site hasn't remembered my password. I've had to reset it again.

How do I get a message to the tech team to have a look at it, without making numerous posts I mean?

Cheers

4 minutes ago, gigoguy said:

Hi Athy

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm a bit confused though. I'm not sure what you mean by the "Personal Message system". When I wrote about my password problem I used the 'contact us' tab. I assumed this was to alert tech to problems. I didn't realise I had to post messages, on a site I couldn't log into, before I could use it. If you mean the chat room. Then it might have been a good idea for there to be some information about it on the chat front page. Rather than a message telling me my group does not have access, don't you think?

I've just tried to log in and again the site hasn't remembered my password. I've had to reset it again.

How do I get a message to the tech team to have a look at it, without making numerous posts I mean?

Cheers

Have you ticked the ''remember me box''.

22 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

If "Remember Me" isn't ticked, you have to enter username and password every time you want to be logged on to the site. 

I think the issue is that the site isn't accepting the password when he logs in and he has to reset it every time

i.e. login with password "abc123"
password invalid
reset password (to abc123)
automatically logged in (due to password reset)
next login password "abc123" is invalid

Is it possible that the site is inserting (or losing) an extra character (possibly non printing) into the password when it's reset, or that something similar is done by the OP's computer?

If I have to enter a password (rather than relying on a password manager, and sometimes even when copy/pasting from there), it often takes 2 or 3 tries before it is accepted. 

10 hours ago, mross said:

I think this may be due to a password manager or a browser's autocomplete feature.  Can OP tell us which browser he uses and if he has a program that remembers passwords for him. 

Hi

I'm using Google Chrome. 

Jess is right. I signed up for the site and gave a username and password. Next time I came to log in it recognised my username but said my password was invalid. I reset my password, with the same password as before. It let me in but the next time I came to log in. Again it remembered my username but said my password was invalid, so I reset it again, using the same password.

I never save passwords to any site and I have never had this issue with any other site.

It's obviously only happening to me as no one else has said they've faced the same issue. I don't think it's my machine as it's never happened before. So it's probably the Russians!

Thanks for all the replies anyway. Oh and yes it happened again this time.

Cheers

54 minutes ago, mross said:

you didn't answer my second question.

As I said I use Google chrome. I never use the 'remember me' feature for any sites. I don't think I do have a programme that remembers passwords but even if I do I don't use it . However, as I said I don't think it's my machine or any programme that I have. The site recognises my username but keeps saying my password is invalid.

Firstly, sorry you have had a slightly slow response to the message you sent on Saturday. I am on the boat doing three 10hour days to get it into Liverpool for Steam in the Dock next weekend and our tech administrator is equally disposed.

As has been said, users require a post count of two or more the used the Chat it PM facilities.

The login issue may a number of things, but one of the more common possiblities is a password manager with the wrong password stored. If you want manaully retyping the correct, case sensitive, password in and it is still rejecting it please let me know and I will look into the issue in more depth.

Thanks

Daniel

9 hours ago, DHutch said:

Firstly, sorry you have had a slightly slow response to the message you sent on Saturday. I am on the boat doing three 10hour days to get it into Liverpool for Steam in the Dock next weekend and our tech administrator is equally disposed.

As has been said, users require a post count of two or more the used the Chat it PM facilities.

The login issue may a number of things, but one of the more common possiblities is a password manager with the wrong password stored. If you want manaully retyping the correct, case sensitive, password in and it is still rejecting it please let me know and I will look into the issue in more depth.

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thanks for getting back to me.

As I replied to Athy, That's fine, it would just have been an idea to say that on the chat front page, instead of something about a group not having access. Having said that, it does say clearly that the chat facility is changing. So I just assumed it was something to do with that.

I am putting in a password that is 8 digits, has a capital letter, numbers and a special symbol (I think that's what they call them).

When I come to log in. I type in my username and it's fine, it doesn't say invalid user. However when I come to type my password in, it says 'invalid password'. I have to request a password re set. Then I have to go to my email, open it and set a new password. I have used exactly the same password every time. I can understand possibly making a typing error once, maybe even twice, but not every single time. 

I think WotEver might have a point. Maybe it just doesn't like the password combination and can't or won't store it.

I'm going to give that a go and see if it sorts it out. If it does I'll let everyone know.

Thanks all for your help. I still think the Russians had something to do with it though!

HA! Sorted, sort of.

I went into my profile and changed my password there. When I say changed it. I put in my old one as requested, and then put in my old one, as my new, twice as requested.

Now it recognises my username and my password..........but not my email address and my password. So I can log in with my username and password but not with my email address and password?

So take that Vlad.....It might not be perfect but we've taken back control........Roll on Brexit......a new Tory government..............Common sense in The Whitehouse.........and the end of the world as we know it!

1 hour ago, gigoguy said:

So I can log in with my username and password but not with my email address and password?

Yes, I believe it's been this way for some time. I've always logged in with 'WotEver'. 

Tony

Out of curiosity, I just tried logging in with my usual e-mail address instead of my username, and failed.  So I went into my profile to look at what CWDF thought my e-mail address was, and discovered that all those years ago I had registered with a different word in front of the @ (I can use anything there).  So check what CWDF has on record as your e-mail address. (Account Settings).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Yeah I thought that. So I did check my email while I was in profile settings, just in case. It was fine and obviously works for it to send me the re set password email I suppose?

Just logged in fine with username and password though. So that bit's still working

On 2017-5-1 at 21:20, gigoguy said:

HA! Sorted, sort of.

I went into my profile and changed my password there. When I say changed it. I put in my old one as requested, and then put in my old one, as my new, twice as requested.

Now it recognises my username and my password.....

Well that is very odd. Although I am glad it is sorted for you.

On 2017-5-1 at 21:20, gigoguy said:

......but not my email address and my password. So I can log in with my username and password but not with my email address and password?

Also odd. We enabled the use of the emails to login because previously each profile had a login name and a display name, typically the same, but not always. The new version uses just the 'display name' for both roles and it was felt it gave more flexibility. It was tested, but not to any great detail.

Obviously you have to use the right email, matching that with which you are registered, but otherwise it should work.

Daniel 

9 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Also odd. We enabled the use of the emails to login because previously each profile had a login name and a display name, typically the same, but not always. The new version uses just the 'display name' for both roles and it was felt it gave more flexibility. It was tested, but not to any great detail.

Obviously you have to use the right email, matching that with which you are registered, but otherwise it should work.

Daniel 

I don't recall ever using my mail address to log in here but I have just done so out of interest with no issues.

10 minutes ago, tomsk said:

I don't recall ever using my mail address to log in here but I have just done so out of interest with no issues.

I've just tried and it still doesn't work using my email address, and I've checked and it's the right address.

It's not a problem I can log in fine now using my username but I wonder why some work and some don't?

You're not Russian are you? 

12 minutes ago, gigoguy said:

I've just tried and it still doesn't work using my email address, and I've checked and it's the right address.

It's not a problem I can log in fine now using my username but I wonder why some work and some don't?

You're not Russian are you? 

Niet.