Hammerite on the deck?

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am now busy paint-scraping in prep for my repaint, and have been reading all the threads on different types of paints etc, but a fellow moorer told me to paint my back deck with Hammerite. Sounds OK to me but won't it be slippy???

I painted my garage door with it a few years ago and it's dead shiny :o

It is a cruiser stern, and the man just said I could paint it with Hammerite. I asked him if I could paint the deck as it looks a bit rusty as I am currently prepping my boat for a re-paint and don't want the deck to look tatty by comparison.

What should I paint the deck with?

6 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Oh my days! I didn't read anything into it at all, just took it at face value.

Sorry OliveOyl,many appologies

FWIW I mistakenly painted the front bit of our narrowboat with hammerite once, I picked up the wrong tin, it did seem to be a lot slippier than the back of the boat (not hammerite)

Edited by rusty69

I would just strip it down to the steel the best you can, then treat any rust with a good rust inhibitor, then as you would normally do for metal , metal primer, undercoat, top coat. Most people just paint it with the same paint as they use  on the majority of the boat. If you want a non-slip you could use Interdeck by International, you could also use this on the roof and front well deck to match. I just use Craftmaster red raddle with anti-slip tape on the areas I tread.

Edited by Northernboater

Thanks both, I really do NOT want to have to do it all again, as getting the paint off the roof is proving to be  a nightmare (I am just going to sand the sides as the paint is in reasonably good nick) so whilst I am trying/hoping to emulate concours condition, I do want all my hard work to last and be worthwhile.

I think I will look for some Interdeck.

I plan to use Symphony paints as they have the colours I wan to do my boat in - are International paints compatible?

10 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Oh my days! I didn't read anything into it at all, just took it at face value.

Yeah don't go there, it's the old girlfriend joke with the inner thigh tattoo "caution sli****y wh** w**" and an arrow.

Your Thread could quickly go off topic

4 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks both, I really do NOT want to have to do it all again, as getting the paint off the roof is proving to be  a nightmare (I am just going to sand the sides as the paint is in reasonably good nick) so whilst I am trying/hoping to emulate concours condition, I do want all my hard work to last and be worthwhile.

I think I will look for some Interdeck.

I plan to use Symphony paints as they have the colours I wan to do my boat in - are International paints compatible?

Interdeck is good for covering up uneven areas as it is quite thick and sticks to most things being a polyurethane based paint, the only downside is that it comes in limited colours

15 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

I only want black -surely they do black?

Sorry no black, if I was going black I'd use black raddle or a cheaper one coat black satin, as it's easy to apply and touch up and also looks ok with non slip tape.

Edited by Northernboater

What is raddle???

One coat black satin as in . . . . what you put on walls or window cills??? (i.e.satin as opposed to gloss woodwork paint or  emulsion for walls where you want a bit of a sheen?) surely not on rusty metal, exposed to the elements?

17 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

What is raddle???

One coat black satin as in . . . . what you put on walls or window cills??? (i.e.satin as opposed to gloss woodwork paint or  emulsion for walls where you want a bit of a sheen?) surely not on rusty metal, exposed to the elements?

Google is your friend  -  https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/Rylard_Raddle.html

34 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

I only want black -surely they do black?

Teamac deck paint comes in black.  I've heard some complain that it doesn't cure properly but I reckon if you plan to walk on any sort of paint you need to give it a week or so to properly harden.

i've used the teamac stuff on top of a coating of Owatrol and it cured perfectly well, and 18 months on no sign of rust creeping back through.  

I added this stuff to my paint before painting decks. Just mix into paint before brushing it on. 

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/international-non-slip-additive-20g/p13064?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMb2UgyZmRjliRxVU02Gi-IDDOmdLr3QVyAukYfZp7kkaAic18P8HAQ

Have a search around you might find it cheaper. Try your local paint store.

14 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Chewbacka, but they only seem to do red, does no-one do black? I think red would not 'go' with my colour scheme.

Craftmaster black raddle. The one coat black satin is obviously for exterior metal not the same as the indoor stuff, satin just referring to the sheen of the paint when dry as opposed to gloss.

Edited by Northernboater

9 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Teamac deck paint comes in black.  I've heard some complain that it doesn't cure properly but I reckon if you plan to walk on any sort of paint you need to give it a week or so to properly harden.

i've used the teamac stuff on top of a coating of Owatrol and it cured perfectly well, and 18 months on no sign of rust creeping back through.  

Thanks Neil2, I'll have a look.

Just now, Northernboater said:

Craftmaster black raddle, 

Thanks Northernboater, will add that to my list too.:D

6 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I added this stuff to my paint before painting decks. Just mix into paint before brushing it on. 

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/international-non-slip-additive-20g/p13064?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMb2UgyZmRjliRxVU02Gi-IDDOmdLr3QVyAukYfZp7kkaAic18P8HAQ

Have a search around you might find it cheaper. Try your local paint store.

Thanks Canal - only just seen your post.

On 28/04/2017 at 21:35, Neil2 said:

I had problems with Teamac not curing properly

20 hours ago, mark99 said:

Craftmater Raddle is good. I would say less brittle than Hammerite. Needs an undercoat and if cleaning rust off try Bondaprimer as both a rust treater and primer before undercoat. 

Yup, I've used raddle black too, on the gunnels above the top strake as it happens. I'd avoid hammerite anywhere you might have an interface with another paint or might want to change paints in the future as adverse reactions can occur between it and some other paint types.

My understanding is the raddle red or raddling was some concoction that a few old boaters put on the roofs of their working boats.

Phil Speight (occasional poster here, famous boat painter, and creator of Craftmaster paints) decided to make a modern version and hence Craftmaster Raddle Red.

All the other paint companies copied this idea and all also now offer Raddle in other colours, so raddle has come to mean an enamel paint with a matt or semi matt finish.

I find Craftmaster raddle red a little slippery (when wet) for floor and gunnels so I put a coat of Bondaprimer over the top, but that's another story for another thread one day.

..........Dave