Lovely!! Narrowboat for sale

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, chubby said:

Bespoke - its just a nonsense word that makes one instantly think of exclusivity or individuality but i think many use this word in the same way as folk use " stunning " . Theyre words which have been used so so often as to almost lose any meaning .

I think you are reading too much into the word.  All my life and according to the dictionary I have just checked it merely means "made to order".

Looking again at this wreck makes me very sad. That folks should have to live in such a heap is quite horrendous. OTOH while the owner couldn't (perhaps) do much to the outside - perhaps he could make an effort to the inside.

I'm concerned that with the numbers of folks gravitating to the canal system - no proper sanitation disposal, no adequate water supply, no public power, that theye is a time bomb waiting to explode. All we need is a hot and dry summer to turn some of the system into a truly stinking ditch.

• Greenie 1

On 29/04/2017 at 08:55, DaveandDebby said:

"Much loved" makes me think of a child's favourite teddy bear. Faded, slightly threadbare and a bit tatty.

Yes. I've always read it as a euphemism for 'worn out and knackered'.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. I've always read it as a euphemism for 'worn out and knackered'.

It is unfortunately one of those terms which can have diametrically opposed meanings - rather like "bomb". In British English, if something goes down like a bomb it means it's very successful. In American English it means, perhaps more logically, that it's extremely unsuccessful: "the new Broadway play bombed and shut down after three nights".

In record-dealing terms, "well enjoyed" is an equivalent of what you describe. This is one level above the dreaded "reggae condition".

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That sounds hairy.

I'll set 'em up, you tell 'em. My use of the adjective "dreaded" was not a random choice!

...though, of course, many early reggae records were bought by skin'eads who had scarcely any hair at all.

On 29/04/2017 at 11:03, Athy said:

I'll set 'em up, you tell 'em. My use of the adjective "dreaded" was not a random choice!

I thought that would be the case. I'd like to make a comment about dreadful puns, but its bin dun before.

On 29/04/2017 at 11:03, Athy said:

...though, of course, many early reggae records were bought by skin'eads who had scarcely any hair at all.

Ah now interesting you should say this. I was telling someone the other day about skinhead music being reggae when I was a skool, and they had no such recollection. In fact they pointed out that this was highly unlikely given the fundamental racist culture of the 1970s skinhead and their hobby of 'paki-bashing'. I was beginning to wonder if skinhead/reggae was a local thing, only in my skool.

Back in those days on reflection, Jamaican people were around in small numbers and generally accepted and respected in society.  The skinheads were objecting to the new wave of Asian immigrants arriving in large numbers.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought that would be the case. I'd like to make a comment about dreadful puns, but its bin dun before.

Ah now interesting you should say this. I was telling someone the other day about skinhead music being reggae when I was a skool, and they had no such recollection. In fact they pointed out that this was highly unlikely given the fundamental racist culture of the 1970s skinhead and their hobby of 'paki-bashing'. I was beginning to wonder if skinhead/reggae was a local thing, only in my skool.

Back in those days on reflection, Jamaican people were around in small numbers and generally accepted and respected in society.  The skinheads were objecting to the new wave of Asian immigrants arriving in large numbers.

It's complicated isn't it, I had friends who were skinheads back in the early 70's and it was very much a fashion thing and they were very much into ska and uptempo reggae.  Skinheads only started becoming associated with racism towards the end of that decade when immigration started to become more of an issue.  It coincided with the rise of Punk Rock and the New Wave which tended to be the new music of choice for these second generation skinheads.  Paradoxically a lot of the favoured bands were also heavily anti racism, Sham 69 being the best example.   

I lot of my mates became "suedeheads" as a means to distinguish themselves from the tarnished brand.  Most of them seem to have become teachers, or policemen... 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was beginning to wonder if skinhead/reggae was a local thing, only in my skool.

Absolutely not. It was sales to (mostly white) skinheads that put all those reggae singles in the charts in 1969-71, and which lifted the quintessential skin-reggae L.P. 'Tighten Up Volume 2' into the Top 10 of the album charts.

These days, to dissociate the music from the more recent neo-fascist image of skinheads, the former "skinhead reggae" is more often known as "boss reggae", a term coined by my good (and alas now late) friend and colleague Michael de Koningh.

Actually the grotty appearance of that London boat disguises a quite interesting vessel.  She has more pleasing lines than most modern craft for a start, and the enclosed bow has clearly been done by a joiner/carpenter who knows what he's doing which suggests the wooden top might just be in good condition.  The engine lets it down but say the hull is in good nick add together the cost of a repaint and a modern motor and that could actually be a lovely boat.  

34 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

The engine lets it down

No, the description says that it is a Lister SR2, which has the reputation of not letting people down (and which sounds good too).

I think we're agreed that this was once a very pleasant vessel, and that it could be again - just that it isn't at the moment.

On 28/04/2017 at 12:42, Dave Payne said:

Does lovely mean something else in London?

Some fresh cut bread on the kitchen side really sells it i think.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=513223

Having read the replies, it seems it is lacking something to 'boast' about.  a term irritating to me, but much loved by sales-agents to enhance something ordinary that you would normally take for granted in the asking price asked.