Lovely!! Narrowboat for sale

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

I always like it when people say things like "brand new in 2010", so not brand new then but it was at some point in the past

I see what you mean, but used with regard to engines the term has validity, as second-hand (e.g. ex-van or mini-digger) engines have often been fitted into otherwise new boats.

She's a little beauty, has featured on these pages before I think, but would cost a fortune to kit out with a set of decent curtains.

As for the first one...I know it's hard to believe, but words fail me.

• Firstly - "everyone" over guilds  their sale items nowadays
  • Secondly - The owner may have no clue as to what is god and bad in a boat - after all he has submitted photos, so mus feel the boat is OK
  • Thirdly -  he may of course be taking the 'whatever'

Oohh that first boats simply gorgeous . If only i had 14000 burning a hole in my pocket .... Gorgeous & a bargain - whats not to like ? 

Im considering selling my boat soon . Not sure yet . So im looking at ads and im noticing certain terms &  turns of phrase , mostly annoying , that keep popping up :

" Much loved " . " bespoke " . " Luxury "  & of course that word beloved by that most soul-less of folk - estate agents .... "stunning " .

If i put my boat up for sale im determined not to use any of these phrases but im beginning to feel i might fail to sell if i dont use them . Maybe instead i ll use all of them ! 

9 minutes ago, chubby said:

" Much loved " . " bespoke " . " Luxury "  & of course that word beloved by that most soul-less of folk - estate agents .... "stunning " .

But my deah, "stunning" is soooo last decade. Surely you mean "iconic".

I do wonder if the seller of the first boat is deluded. Did (s)he not think that it's worth making the bed neatly and tidying the sofa would have made the interior look a bit more appealing?

Come to think of it, surely a he and not a she - some chaps can live shower-free, I'm not sure that females would deign to.

If i tried to sell my Liverpool Boat Co narrowboat with an ad including the word " iconic " i dont think it ll work very well . 

Bespoke i think is the one that really gets on my tits the most - tho i cannot for the life of me understand why . " Much loved " however simply makes me want to vomit - again i dont why but it just annoys me .

Edited by chubby

7 minutes ago, chubby said:

If i tried to sell my Liverpool Boat Co narrowboat with an ad including the word " iconic " i dont think it ll work very well . 

Bespoke i think is the one that really gets on my tits the most - tho i cannot for the life of me understand why . " Much loved " however simply makes me want to vomit - again i dont why but it just annoys me .

But that bow flare on a Liverpool shell is a '90s icon, and there can't be more than a thousand or so of them about. (Actually our last boat was built on a Liverpool shell and I did like the bow design).

Bespoke, I guess, is meant to indicate that the boat was built to order and not churned out to a standard design - but then I'd guess that the majority of n/b's are.

As for "much loved", that's an easy one: it means 1) we've looked after it so it's in good nick, and 2) we love it and don't want to part with it so we want a lot of money for it to soften the blow.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

But that bow flare on a Liverpool shell is a '90s icon, and there can't be more than a thousand or so of them about. (Actually our last boat was built on a Liverpool shell and I did like the bow design).

Bespoke, I guess, is meant to indicate that the boat was built to order and not churned out to a standard design - but then I'd guess that the majority of n/b's are.

As for "much loved", that's an easy one: it means 1) we've looked after it so it's in good nick, and 2) we love it and don't want to part with it so we want a lot of money for it to soften the blow.

I appreciate what these words mean but " much loved " just is so twee , its a bit wishy washy . 

Bespoke - its just a nonsense word that makes one instantly think of exclusivity or individuality but i think many use this word in the same way as folk use " stunning " . Theyre words which have been used so so often as to almost lose any meaning .

Cant think of an original way of describing something ...... ? F*** It - just say stunning 

Talking of excessive use of " stunning " and to demonstrate its total lack of imagination theres an ad on the duck ( cant put a link up as im a technocabbage ) for a widebeam which has a cinema room and .... and ....i can scarecely believe it ... a gym !!!! ( the cinema room does look a bit cool tho i must admit regrettably ) 

Yours for a mere £170,000 . Its the polar opposite of the " lovely " boat from earlier on 

Edited by chubby

If that "lovely" boat has a good sound hull and all the stuff described is in working order, wouldn't it be worth something not too far short of £14,000?

In practice it probably hasn't, because that rusty looking outside suggests it hasn't been much loved, and all that green gunk along the waterline suggests it hasn't moved much for years. The chimney height indicates that too.

Showers? Waste of space on a small boat, use a handbowl! Or if the seller was living aboard in order to work in London, they might have the use of showers at work.

Listers are noisy but reliable, what that boat needs is for someone to put in a very cheeky offer, buy a shorter chimney and set off up the GU to give the engine a chance to show what it can do. Followed by a spell in a good boatyard somewhere up north to fix the problems! I may be available as crew...

Finally, the location is certainly prime central London, at the foot of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square according to the map. Handy for everything but you'd get a lot of gongoozlers and traffic noise, and pigeon droppings on the solar panels would be a problem.

5 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Does lovely mean something else in London?

Some fresh cut bread on the kitchen side really sells it i think.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=513223

It doesn't seem like a terrible deal for the price, depending of course on the state of the under water bits. There are a lot of people looking for boats in that price range, and not a lot of boats for sale.  I'm sure it will sell quickly.

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

If that "lovely" boat has a good sound hull and all the stuff described is in working order, wouldn't it be worth something not too far short of £14,000?

Probably closer to £20k

19 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

It doesn't seem like a terrible deal for the price, depending of course on the state of the under water bits. There are a lot of people looking for boats in that price range, and not a lot of boats for sale.  I'm sure it will sell quickly.

Probably closer to £20k

It's a timber top cabin - probably leaks like a sieve...

19 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's a timber top cabin - probably leaks like a sieve...

Most of the hundreds of Londoners that have £15k - £20k in savings and are looking for a boat to live on won't even understand the difference between  steel and wooden top.

Edited by lulu fish

46 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Finally, the location is certainly prime central London, at the foot of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square according to the map. Handy for everything but you'd get a lot of gongoozlers and traffic noise, and pigeon droppings on the solar panels would be a problem.

Is the water in the fountains round Nelson's Column deep enough to float a narrowboat?

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is the water in the fountains round Nelson's Column deep enough to float a narrowboat?

No, it's only about a foot or so. And the police would be all over you like a rash before you got the crane feet down anyway.