Solar panels

jddevel

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Catnip King said:

I wrote that parallel is better whats not to understand. I ain't got time to argue with you lot if you want to do series that is your choice but i have tried both and have more solar than any boat on the canal so know what is best. 

How much solar? How much did your cable cost? It may be better for you. It does not mean it's better for everyone. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, Catnip King said:

I wrote that parallel is better whats not to understand.

Parallel what? Panels? Batteries? Controllers? Panels with blocking diodes or without? MPPT controller or PWM? What size batteries? What size array? What power panels? What power controller?

i don't trust you one bit if you're incapable of explaining a meaningless post. 

Just now, Catnip King said:

Yes I did that originally and wasn't as good. Was worth paying the extra to do it this way.

Sure. It may be better for you, but not everyone. To say trust me without any explanation is meaningless. 

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So which is better series or parallel ;)

Check the voltage of the panels.  Basically they have to produce more than the battery voltage for the MTTP to charge the batteries.  Series is more effected if one of the panels is covered by shade than parallel but series you are adding the voltage of each panel together so may be better in lower light?

Edited by Robbo

And if one of them is in shade then that panel's output is down anyway, however it's wired. As I suggested above it also depends very much on whether or not the panels are fitted with bypass diodes.

Once you know the panel voltage and the max input voltage of the controller the decision is easier. 

See here for a bit of edumacation:

http://www.solar-facts.com/panels/panel-diodes.php

And here:

http://www.mpptsolar.com/en/solar-panels-in-series.html

1 hour ago, Catnip King said:

i have tried both and have more solar than any boat on the canal so know what is best. 

Maybe King-Dick is the one to write the info-wiki regarding solar installation.

After all, someone has to be wrong, it may as well be an obnoxious arrogant 'expert'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

After all, someone has to be wrong, it may as well be an obnoxious arrogant 'expert'.

I'm not sure either is wrong. It will depend on individual circumstances. 

But to say parallel is best(with no explanation) , trust me,  is likely to get the response it did. 

Thank you WotEver those links have helped explain a lot (apart from having to read a couple of extra times due to the obvious language translation). After reading, it  became easier as I understand it, that either series or parallel  are OK provided the correct panels and diodes are purchased and wired correctly.

2 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Thank you WotEver those links have helped explain a lot (apart from having to read a couple of extra times due to the obvious language translation). After reading, it  became easier as I understand it, that either series or parallel  are OK provided the correct panels and diodes are purchased and wired correctly.

Spot on :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alan, your post made me sit up and take notice. I had been assured by  an electrician that a 240v rarely used 10 amp switch would be fine for my set up. After your post I researched it a bit myself and found that 240v switches are different animals to dedicated 12v ones and so I've gone to a battery isolation type one now for peace of mind.

Thank you for kindly taking the trouble to point this out. The forum at it's best!

20170509_115216_001.jpg

4 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

I had been assured by  an electrician that a 240v rarely used 10 amp switch would be fine for my set up.

Sadly it's not uncommon for a domestic sparky who has no experience of 12V systems to specify totally unsuitable equipment. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2017 at 19:58, Peter-Bullfinch said:

I'm no electrician but I found it very easy to install ours from Bimble. It has all worked really well for us and we are out from the end of March to the end of October . Then the fridge is off and the solar just keeps the batteries constantly topped up. 

Some will say my switch is in the wrong place but if I have needed to disconnect the panels then I cover them with a blanket and then disconnect. 

I jotted this sketch down to remind me for reference.

20170428_194815.jpg

I would suggest that the solar input to the controller would be better with a double pole dc isolator in line, guaranteed isolation should your blanket slip or get blown off. With regard to the isolator on the output, this would be better to be a battery type isolator.

On 30/04/2017 at 17:25, WotEver said:

It's a dumb place for a switch anyway. But if you feel that you must have one then... ;)

I would not be that harsh. For the cost of a battery isolator switch it is not a bad idea for safe isolation without fuss.

7 hours ago, jam said:

I would not be that harsh. For the cost of a battery isolator switch it is not a bad idea for safe isolation without fuss.

And if you ever isolate it while the batteries are low and the sun is out then you're likely to kill the controller. The cables should be fused and isolation can be easily achieved by pulling the fuses which is a far more deliberate act and will hopefully make you think twice prior to doing so.