Solar panels

jddevel

Featured Posts

I know this topic has been written about on numerous occasions however can some one please just for stupid me list how I should approach getting a panel/panels to help maintain my leisure batteries when at home? I read of flexible panels -which I like the idea of- I read of MTTP (what ever they are?) and their importance etc etc. Basically will I buy a kit with instructions or do I continue to try and understand it along with all else I`m trying to get to grips with by scouring the Forum?

5 minutes ago, jddevel said:

do I continue to try and understand it along with all else I`m trying to get to grips with by scouring the Forum?

This in my opinion, if you like to know and understand your system and perhaps install it yourself.

Otherwise just hand over a wad of money for someone else to do it for you. 

Edited by rusty69

Do you mean keep your batteries topped up when moored and you are not on it?

How big is your battery bank, what do you have running when you are not on the boat, how much power gets used when you are not on the boat?

How much space on the roof do you have?

How much do you want to spend?

Fitting is easy by the way, its just deciding how much you need and how much you want to spend.

MPPT controller - Maximum Power Point Tracking. A solar panel will have a voltage at which it is outputting its maximum power. This voltage will constantly change through the day with temperature and sunlight. What an MPPT Controller does is to allow the panel to operate at its optimum voltage, thereby extracting the maximum power available to charge the batteries. This is as opposed to a PWM controller which is less efficient. The difference is generally in the region of 20% in the real world. Not all MPPT controllers are created equal. 

How big is your battery bank, what do you have running when you are not on the boat, how much power gets used when you are not on the boat?

How much space on the roof do you have?

How much do you want to spend?

Yet to get the batteries (jury out) but space built for 5 leisure so anticipate 500+

Apart from Mushrooms a pole/plank rack 57foot semi trad-about 12mtrs roof

Spend - value for money like us all without getting something unnecessary. It`s will be a leisure craft used say 7 months of the year out cruising most days and in a marina the remainder or when at home. Reluctant to connect to landline if I can avoid due to Galvanic corrosion/erosion -can`t remember what you all told me it was called but you know what I mean (will have an isolator)

If you have nothing running (fridge?) when in the marina then i wouldn't go big, of course the bilge pump is worth thinking about if you have a leak/leaky prop.

If you moor up for a day or two when out cruising then you need to decide if you want the panels to assist with keeping the batteries topped up, less engine running?

You need to work out power usage and go from there.

With a 450Ah bank, useage of about 80Ah a day for 4 days a week, and an existing 100W panel, I'm about to buy 2 x 245W panels and a 40A Epever Tracer MPPT controller. 

Im hoping that will be more than enough to get/keep them topped up after a bit of genny charging each day.

I haven't done any scientific calculating, just a reasonable gut feel based on roof space and cost, (about £400-£500 I think). 

50 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Reluctant to connect to landline if I can avoid due to Galvanic corrosion/erosion -can`t remember what you all told me it was called but you know what I mean (will have an isolator)

It's "Corrosion"

If by "isolator" you mean an isolation transformer then you need have no qualms about shore power. With an IT you are (in electrical terms) not connected to the shore. 

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Reluctant to connect to landline if I can avoid due to Galvanic corrosion/erosion -can`t remember what you all told me it was called but you know what I mean (will have an isolator)

If shore line is available, in winter it's the cheapest method of getting electric.   Even in summer if you can be on shore power for the majority of the time then even getting solar isn't that attractive.

27 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If shore line is available, in winter it's the cheapest method of getting electric.   Even in summer if you can be on shore power for the majority of the time then even getting solar isn't that attractive.

Without any doubt, this ^^^^

I'm no electrician but I found it very easy to install ours from Bimble. It has all worked really well for us and we are out from the end of March to the end of October . Then the fridge is off and the solar just keeps the batteries constantly topped up. 

Some will say my switch is in the wrong place but if I have needed to disconnect the panels then I cover them with a blanket and then disconnect. 

I jotted this sketch down to remind me for reference.

20170428_194815.jpg

So if a leisure cruiser with a limited period in the marina what sort of wattage solar would the ideal starter system be. Boat will have one starter battery. Two thruster batteries total about 175amps and five leisure at 110amp each. Not expecting solar to keep batteries at 100 percent more really to keep topped up when away. Am I expecting to much with the number of batteries?

10 minutes ago, jddevel said:

what sort of wattage solar would the ideal starter system be

Not easy to answer. Some solar is definitely better than non. A lot will depend on your daily power demand an daily charging regime and budget. As a minimum I would say 250W. You could always get an oversize controller and add  further panels at a later date (although it will wont be as efficient)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hmmmmm :

16 amp output

10 Amp switch

20 amp fuse

Which melts first in the event of a problem, or even a sunny day ?

It's a dumb place for a switch anyway. But if you feel that you must have one then... ;)

• Greenie 1