Route Advice - Ashby Canal.

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Hi there. We're aiming to do The Ashby in late May as we've never done it yet. We're hiring from Great Haywood (70') and might even get to Coventry if time permits as we've never been there either. Can anyone tell me where the current head of navigation on The Ashby Canal is ? I've heard that it is Faulkes Circular Winding Hole, but I don't think you can wind anything over 56-60' there, and we're 70'. Where can we wind a 70' ? Also, any recommendations for good pubs ?

We were on the Ashby earlier this year. I managed to download a map from canal river trust which shows the canal terminating after the snarestone tunnel. The legend states the winding hole is "full length".

We didn't explore much as it was bloomin freezing, but did wander up the hill to Market Bosworth (we were at Bosworth marina). The signpost suggesting it is a half mile walk tells lies! It was at least a mile, but we managed it a couple of times. The pubs were OK, but nothing outstanding that I would recommend. 

We also visited Coventry and moored in the basin, which is a great location to visit the town and very quiet but limited space. Coventry Transport Museum is excellent and well worth a visit.

Screenshot_20170427-214623.png.e6bb5ed8f5a2859e8586ce135d2c2c70.png

i have turned my 57 at the hole after the tunnel with ease, i would be confident you can turn a 70ft there, but dont try and go past the footbridge with the boat, in fact i am not sure the fella in the boat who unlocks the gate would let you, but worth a walk though if you have time!

The globe on the south side of the tunnel is very nice, great food and ale with a beer garden, just moor up before the tunnel and walk up the towpath to the pub.

For stoke golding i would moor on the sharp left hand bend after the marina and moored boats on the right and walk back up the hill to the pubs, one has an indian restaurant behind it, a small shop is also there for provisions if you need anything, if you have time then you can moor at the visitor moorings at market bosworth and walk up the hill for pubs and shops, about 20 minute walk.

you also have the rising sun at shackerstone, its signposted on the canal.

the lime kilns just before you get to hinckley does a decent range of ales, food is ok, you can moor on the beer garden also.

hawkesbury junction has the greyhound pub which is good for ales and food, if the sun is out check out the whippet around the back, a micro pub with a nice garden.

from hawksbury into coventry basin i wouldnt stop, although you can moor at the back of the big tesco extra and walk around to get provisions, but its not worth stopping anywhere else till you get to the basin, if its full you can wind and then moor just outside the basin near the water points.

if you are coming from atherstone through nuneaton then you have the anchor inn at hartshill, great food and a few ales on tap, you can moor right next to it, in nuneaton you have the horse shoes pub, for this you moor at the visitor moorings near boot wharf, you will see this place as they have loads of boats moored up being worked on, a quick walk up the hill and its over the road, good ales from the sprerin brewery.

The ashby is a lovely canal and im sure you will enjoy it!

• Greenie 1

A good "instant guide" to the area, Dave. It is perhaps worth adding a pub we discovered last year, The Corner House at Bulkingtoin, about a mile up the Cov from Marston Junction (from memory, Bridge 14). Five or so minutes' walk from the canal, it's what I call a "six bars three restaurants" pub, but we were well fed and watered there, twice.

On 4/28/2017 at 08:54, Athy said:

A good "instant guide" to the area, Dave. It is perhaps worth adding a pub we discovered last year, The Corner House at Bulkingtoin, about a mile up the Cov from Marston Junction (from memory, Bridge 14). Five or so minutes' walk from the canal, it's what I call a "six bars three restaurants" pub, but we were well fed and watered there, twice.

The Corner House is actually on the Ashby at Bulkington Road Bridge No 5. It's only about 100 yards from the bridge and visible from it. It's a Marstons pub - food isn't exceptional, but has been reliably good for a long time.

I can confirm that the food at the Greyhound is good - I've eaten there twice in the last 9 months.

Edited by John Brightley

11 hours ago, John Brightley said:

The Corner House is actually on the Ashby at Bulkington Road Bridge No 5. It's only about 100 yards from the bridge and visible from it. It's a Marstons pub - food isn't exceptional, but has been reliably good for a long time.

Thank you for the correction, and apologies if I have misled anyone. I think we got a two-for-one meals deal which, on one of the two occasions on which we ate there, involved absolutely as much fish & chips as we could eat.

Went to the corner house a few weeks ago, was just ok, but they do have lots of choice and a pizza oven but not sure what days they fire it up.

Chetwyn pub has changed hands, not sure if they are doing Chinese food anymore.

If anybody is passing through Nuneaton and stops for shops, and you like ales/cider/beer with a difference then visit this place, a little micro pub in the town center, about 20 minute walk from boot wharf, lots of drink of offer!

https://www.facebook.com/Lord-Hop-Micropub-880505602026925/

12 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Chetwyn pub has changed hands, not sure if they are doing Chinese food anymore.

That happens regularly. It's actually my closest pub, but I only use it for the Cantonese cuisine. As of last week it was still doing the same food. 

On 4/29/2017 at 15:27, frahkn said:

Yes, I turned at the society 'shop' after the tunnel in a 70' boat last year. You have to reverse if you want to complete the last few hundred yards to the current end.

well its one of those reverses you just have to do........

(still only beaten by the slough arm weed in 2010)