Estimate for these jobs?

Featured Posts

Got a couple of jobs that need doing this year that i dont want to attempt myself so was wondering how much time and money i would be looking at if i got a decent yard to do it.

Drive plate needs changing as it rattles at low revs, nanni engine.

Bearing, or something else on the tiller, where it comes out the ball joint looking part on top of my diesel tank.

Any guesses?

It also needs blacking so was thinking of doing these at the same time when its out the water, also have a check on the prop and steering plate thing as the top of it is bent.

Drive plate is probably about four hours, same for the tiller bearing. Say a yard rate of £40 an hour for small works and with parts included, this is perhaps £6-700.

Docking and blacking prices vary enormously but a cheap and cheerful yard geared up to do it quickly with a few corners cut will probably charge around £10 a foot of boat length. For a thorough job you can probably double that.

As you're in that area, it might be worth asking Springwood Haven for an estimate.

We had Trojan blacked last year and it cost £10 per foot including the pull-out and push-in. That was at The Slipway on the Oxford.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

As you're in that area, it might be worth asking Springwood Haven for an estimate.

We had Trojan blacked last year and it cost £10 per foot including the pull-out and push-in. That was at The Slipway on the Oxford.

Richard at Broadmoor lock?

5 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Actually thinking of doing the blacking myself, might get it up the ramp at spring haven marina.

Its the two main jobs i have no idea on, best start putting some pennies n the pot.

Good idea.  Most marinas that do the blacking put on two rollered coats and put it back in the water as quickly as possible.  Doing it yourself you can put on, with a 4" emulsion brush, two coats plus an extra coat along the water line with a day between coats and a day before it goes back in the water. A much better job.

The cheapest item in blacking a boat is the blacking.