Mono or poly?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Detling said:

I have never seen mono the same physical size as poly usually a lot larger and more expensive.

I suspect you may be referring to amorphous rather than monocrystalline. Mono are generally regarded as superior to poly on a like to like basis. Amorphous are far bigger for the same wattage rating, and around twice the price, which somewhat negates any low light advantages.

are you after a specific sized panel??

the ones you are looking at are beaten massively by panels just 10 cm wider.

Mono if you want the answer with embellishments.

1 minute ago, stegra said:

I suspect you may be referring to amorphous rather than monocrystalline. Mono are generally regarded as superior to poly on a like to like basis. Amorphous are far bigger for the same wattage rating, and around twice the price, which somewhat negates any low light advantages.

Poly are often bigger than the same wattage mono panels.

42 minutes ago, matty40s said:

are you after a specific sized panel??

the ones you are looking at are beaten massively by panels just 10 cm wider.

Mono if you want the answer with embellishments.

Poly are often bigger than the same wattage mono panels.

You just made me check my measurements! Thought I had 5000x680 but I don't! Its only 630 from rail to mushroom so those panels wont fit anyway! What I am trying to do is keep the panels away from boat working area so no where near centre line.......

So what I really have is two spaces one 1900x850 the other 1500x850. Just looking ar getting maximum wattage at minimum cost in that space.

Panelsvwired in series as they are at the other end of the boat to the batteries

Controller may well beb http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182499867061

J

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

You just made me check my measurements! Thought I had 5000x680 but I don't! Its only 630 from rail to mushroom so those panels wont fit anyway! What I am trying to do is keep the panels away from boat working area so no where near centre line.......

So what I really have is two spaces one 1900x850 the other 1500x850. Just looking ar getting maximum wattage at minimum cost in that space.

Panelsvwired in series as they are at the other end of the boat to the batteries

Controller may well beb http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182499867061

J

That is incredibly cheap.... £130 for a 40A MPPT Controller and monitor. The same package is about £170 from most places I've seen it. I'd guess it's actually coming from China or Hong Kong and I would worry, (probably wrongly), that it may be a copy, and/or customs and duty costs??

So I will be equally interested in how it goes :)

dunno how these Chinese ebay traders get away with selling stuff from their UK warehouse without CE certification (yes I am aware of the Chinese Export CE symbol, before we begin a diatribe about it B) ).  

mind you, in many cases it doesn't stop me from buying (gotta stretch the pension as far as possible).

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

It despatches from the UK so neither of the above should apply. 

I know that's what it says, but I've bought cheap stuff on ebay with a UK despatch and, 3 weeks later, it's arrived from China or Hong Kong. Never more than a few quid, so no risk involved, but it has made me cynical and wary - :(