Grand Union canal moorings Birmingham

Nicole

Featured Posts

If you're just looking for some hardstanding to paint on and a crane in, I'd try Coombeswood Trust (Hawne Basin), in Halesowen.  It's on the Birmingham pound so very easy to travel into the city.  They will let visiting boats stay for up to 8 weeks in a 12 month period and are very cheap.  In fact all their prices are very cheap as they're a not-for-profit, charitable trust.  They'll have space at this time of year, no problem.  You could paint your boat on the hardstanding for a week or so and then spend a few weeks moored in the basin, getting used to the boat, before continuous cruising for the rest of the summer.  Give them a ring, 07896 220593.  You'll probably speak to Alan or Nick, both lovely guys.

I'd definitely stick with the BMC engine even if it is overpowered.  An inboard engine will charge your batteries, and may also heat your water.  An outboard will only trickle charge.

That's amazing thank you. I will call them and have a chat. Can they then crane you into the water once you're done painting? I had hoped to get a shower room fitted but all the places I've spoken to don't want to touch GRP boats with, well, a barge pole 

28 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Did you check glascote basin for space, thats easier to get into brum, walk into tamworth and jump on the train.

I did but they did not have the facilities get the truck to crane the boat in. I actually used to live just round the corner from Glascote and passed it on my cycle to Tamworth station. Alvecote seems like a good start for me as I'm sure the boat is going to need some work and that can all be done there. 

10 minutes ago, Nicole said:

That's amazing thank you. I will call them and have a chat. Can they then crane you into the water once you're done painting? I had hoped to get a shower room fitted but all the places I've spoken to don't want to touch GRP boats with, well, a barge pole 

They have a few boats out on the hardstanding which must get craned in.  This pics http://www.hawnebasin.org.uk/basinpics new/webalbum/pages/P1020357a_jpg.htm shows a hoist which would probably be more than adequate for a small dawncraft.

Give them, they don't bite.  Fitting a shower room could be done once the boat is in the water.  

9 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

They have a few boats out on the hardstanding which must get craned in.  This pics http://www.hawnebasin.org.uk/basinpics new/webalbum/pages/P1020357a_jpg.htm shows a hoist which would probably be more than adequate for a small dawncraft.

Give them, they don't bite.  Fitting a shower room could be done once the boat is in the water.  

I will definitely call them. I think I'm going to need all the pennies I can save to fix this boat up by the looks of things so a couple months cheap storage will be a bonus and I can really get stuck into the painting with it out the water