Is Narrowboatworld doing CaRT's Job?

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

How?

Sightings records regularly have gaps of several months in them, not gaps of as little as 10 days?

How else does CRT typically know where any boat is?

(To clarify, I am not supporting anybody other than CRT staff tracking where a boat is - I don't think in general they should be.  This post is only to challenge the claim you have just made).

The boat checkers on bikes on the GU work on a 10 day schedule, they told me. 

1 hour ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

They are on the GU on a weekly basis, Wednesdays for the Weedon pound.

There is even one enforcement chap who walks the whole River Soar now every fortnight.

12 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

There is even one enforcement chap who walks the whole River Soar now every fortnight.

Not my own experience from actually asking for my own data for boats with permanent moorings on the GU.  One was regularly recorded, the other one at a different location almost never. (The one rarely recorded was actually the one where it would be far easier to do so).

In meetings I attend checking intervals of 2 weeks are quoted, (not 10 days), but such coverage certainly does not happen everywhere.

As an aside nobody in CRT I have asked has ever been able to tell me why so much effort is apparently made to regularly record boats in marinas and on other permanent moorings, where there is no requirement for them to be moving on regularly, and not to only target limited resources on boats that are not on permanent moorings.  Surely if CRT have limited resources to record the location of boats and their movement pattern, they should concentrate only on those boats actually required to have a movement pattern?

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not my own experience from actually asking for my own data for boats with permanent moorings on the GU.  One was regularly recorded, the other one at a different location almost never. (The one rarely recorded was actually the one where it would be far easier to do so).

In meetings I attend checking intervals of 2 weeks are quoted, (not 10 days), but such coverage certainly does not happen everywhere.

As an aside nobody in CRT I have asked has ever been able to tell me why so much effort is apparently made to regularly record boats in marinas and on other permanent moorings, where there is no requirement for them to be moving on regularly, and not to only target limited resources on boats that are not on permanent moorings.  Surely if CRT have limited resources to record the location of boats and their movement pattern, they should concentrate only on those boats actually required to have a movement pattern?

CART come into the yard here and log every boat including all the hire fleet!! No idea why they log a hire fleet that they obviously know are only bimbling up and down one stretch of canal and they have all records of licenses etc for but thats what they do on a fairly regular basis. The local bod also walks the towpath on a very regular basis recording boats.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As an aside nobody in CRT I have asked has ever been able to tell me why so much effort is apparently made to regularly record boats in marinas and on other permanent moorings, where there is no requirement for them to be moving on regularly, ....................

I thought that was primarily to check licenses?

11 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I thought that was primarily to check licenses?

If they establish that every boat in a marina is licensed, (something many/most marina operators will do anyway), is it really best use of limited resource to repeat those checks 26 times a year?

If CRT are genuinely serious about enforcing "bona fide for navigation" for those obliged to comply with that requirement, then they can only do so by putting more of their limited data recording capacity into checking boat location and movement, and less in to recording permanently moored boats with zero requirement to actually ever go anywhere.

All "in my opinion" of course, but it seems that people who get wound up about this kind of things are often far more concerned about lack of movement than they are about actual licence status.  On areas like the Southern GU the stats show the numbers of unlicensed boats are at their lowest ever, but I doubt any good stats are available from CRT about how many boats don't obey the 14 day rule, or how effective their enforcement teams are in improving that situation.

On 26/04/2017 at 21:45, matty40s said:

I've also heard a similar story, that there is an enforcement bod who walks the whole of the K&A once a fortnight recording boats.

Now I can imagine it is feasible to walk the whole of the K&A in two weeks, but not whilst stopping or slowing thousands of times to dab several thousand six digit numbers into a handheld terminal. I suspect it is far more likely the data gatherer drives from locality to locality in a car, gets out and walks a few hundred yards each way along the VMs dabbing in the numbers, same for the marinas, but leaves out the rural stretches in between.

I'm curious now. If there really IS a data checker recording the whole of the K&A once a fortnight, because I've been CCing here for a couple of years CRT ought to have about 50 sightings of my boat. But I bet they don't. How does one ask? Just call them? Or email a specific person or department?

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Surely the point there would be to 'reset the clock' if the boats had been sighted outside the marina.  To prevent the unfortunate episode of mrsmelly...

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've also heard a similar story, that there is an enforcement bod who walks the whole of the K&A once a fortnight recording boats.

Now I can imagine it is feasible to walk the whole of the K&A in two weeks, but not whilst stopping or slowing thousands of times to dab several thousand six digit numbers into a handheld terminal. I suspect it is far more likely the data gatherer drives from locality to locality in a car, gets out and walks a few hundred yards each way along the VMs dabbing in the numbers, same for the marinas, but leaves out the rural stretches in between.

I'm curious now. If there really IS a data checker recording the whole of the K&A once a fortnight, because I've been CCing here for a couple of years CRT ought to have about 50 sightings of my boat. But I bet they don't. How does one ask? Just call them? Or email a specific person or department?

I think you're right, given that the main issue on the K&A is congestion around road bridges it wouldn't make a lot of sense to schlep up and down deserted stretches of canal.  And though it would be possible to walk the entire stretch in a fortnight, he/she would either have to walk the same stretch twice, to return to their car, or have some elaborate drop off/pick up strategy.  It doesn't make sense.  Also in the early season many of our canal towpaths are impassable on foot anyway.