Is Narrowboatworld doing CaRT's Job?

Midnight

Featured Posts

Narrowboatworld comes in for a lot of criticism from some quarters but should the recent article on two overstaying boats be applauded?
http://narrowboatworld.com/9851-pull-your-fingers-out-mr-cart

CaRT' s enforcement operation does seem to be patchy, with zero-tolerance in some areas and some where enforcement officers appear to be oblivious to these kind of issues.

CaRT have a web form where the public can check boat licenses. Should they also have a form to report overstaying p*ss-takers like those in the NB article?

A narrowboat with a pram hood which looks like that should not be allowed to moor anywhere at any time, except in complete darkness.

But seriously, this is a tricky moral question. Where does public-spiritedness end and busybodiness begin? Was it necessary to publish a photograph of the boats, when a telephone call to the nearest CART office might have sufficed?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

A narrowboat with a pram hood which looks like that should not be allowed to moor anywhere at any time, except in complete darkness.

But seriously, this is a tricky moral question. Where does public-spiritedness end and busybodiness begin? Was it necessary to publish a photograph of the boats, when a telephone call to the nearest CART office might have sufficed?

Because they are first and foremost a web site and need stuff - ideally a bit contentious - to maintain their site traffic.  If people post links to their pages and they get more hits - and I am not criticizing the op for posting the link - then expect more of the same.

There may be a reason for their being there.

There is a large marina opositewhere they could moor if they are experiencing problems,health or otherwise. Funds allowing of course.

Quite a dominant pram cover as Mike has mentioned. We have a pram cover,but ours is pretty!

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There may be a reason for their being there.

There is a large marina opositewhere they could moor if they are experiencing problems,health or otherwise. Funds allowing of course.

Quite a dominant pram cover as Mike has mentioned. We have a pram cover,but ours is pretty!

Theres no such thing as a " pretty " pram hood old sport!!! They are the thing of the devil and an obscenity on our waterways.

• Greenie 2

If they run their genny for so many hours a day, their batteries are probably dead,  it also most likely means that they're liveaboards.

On such a small boat, it may not look pretty, but it surely will give them some extra covered space for some of their gear.

For the rest, it's their boat, and they are free to have a pramcover if they wish to have one, if you don't want to see it, just look the other way.

Peter.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This boat was moored on the T&M between Middlewich and Anderton all winter, by March it had sunk and is still there. Maybe if enforcment had taken place after it had overstayed for a month it might have still been afloat

sunk boatsmall.jpg

What a very sad sight !

Peter.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Most tolerant boaters probably don't mind others doing a bit of overstaying in areas where there's no real issues, but on a water point! In a follow-up NB article (no link don't wish to upset anti-Victor members here) it seems this pair have a history.

There's a CaRT sanitary station close to my mooring where the local boatyard seems to think it's part of their marina moorings. I reported it to CaRT as I can never get alongside and get complaints if I breast up, but the local enforcement officer didn't think it was a problem. Maybe because at the time it was in administration by CaRT?

One problem with this is that the kind of uptight people that report other boaters for overstaying don't check why first, there are reasonable reasons why boats overstay,  months in some cases where the owner has terminal cancer.  Many boaters feel its none of anyone's business if they have an  " authorised " overstay, and may not advertise the fact. CaRT are aware of the movements of every boat every ten days, so there is no need to report anything to them. 

Edited by Muddy Ditch Rich
  • Greenie 1

On 26/04/2017 at 12:52, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

One problem with this is that the kind of uptight people that report other boaters for overstaying don't check why first.  Many boaters feel its none of anyone's business if they have an  " authorised " overstay, and may not advertise the fact. CaRT are aware of the movements of every boat every ten days, so there is no need to report anything to them. 

No Mr Onion Bargee, its not every boat, its YOUR boat CRT tracks every ten days :lol::lol::lol:

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

IT IS NOW! What's your entry?

Get thee behind me, Satan! :D

Oh, ok, go on then...

We have a pram cover, but ours is pretty.... and fitted to our daughter's push-chair.

(In snooker, they call that a safety shot!) ;)

4 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

CaRT are aware of the movements of every boat every ten days, so there is no need to report anything to them.

How?

Sightings records regularly have gaps of several months in them, not gaps of as little as 10 days?

How else does CRT typically know where any boat is?

(To clarify, I am not supporting anybody other than CRT staff tracking where a boat is - I don't think in general they should be.  This post is only to challenge the claim you have just made).

25 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How?

Sightings records regularly have gaps of several months in them, not gaps of as little as 10 days?

Probably only gaps in your sightings if you move as you could easily miss the checker, but if you stay in the same spot its unlikely there would be a gap of more than 4 weeks.  

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Probably only gaps in your sightings if you move as you could easily miss the checker, but if you stay in the same spot its unlikely there would be a gap of more than 4 weeks.  

Not true when I asked for data about my own boats, each on different CRT online moorings at the time.

One was clocked every 2 weeks, the other was lucky to be clocked every two months.

When CRT say each length is ckecked every two weeks, mine (and other people's), sightings data shows they are not being factual, (whether intentionally or unintentionally!)

On 26/04/2017 at 19:23, alan_fincher said:

Not true when I asked for data about my own boats, each on different CRT online moorings at the time.

One was clocked every 2 weeks, the other was lucky to be clocked every two months.

When CRT say each length is ckecked every two weeks, mine (and other people's), sightings data shows they are not being factual, (whether intentionally or unintentionally!)

I know a "CRT Warden" and he says he also does data collecting. He will do his length of VM and a bit each side in the summer months once or twice a week or however often he feels it necessary. But in winter, he says, all CRT data checking on his patch stops.

The two boats in the picture were there when I passed in December. There were about 3 or 4 boats on the Winter Mooring signed section nearest the Flood lock, then a big space, then the two pictured boats,another space, and then the LTM boats. 

I am quite sure CRT would have taken some sort of action by now if they were not aware of any reasons that the boats should be staying put.