boats - Violet and Scotia

BWM

Featured Posts

I recently obtained a promotional leaflet issued by the National engine company containing some information on various craft using their marine engines, which included these two narrow boats. The boat called Violet appears to have been a butty as the cabin is very low, and the stern looks unusual. 

Does anyone have any information on the two boats? (apologies for picture quality, they are not that great in the booklet) 

IMAG1354-20170426-072844286.jpg

IMAG1350-20170426-072837983.jpg

IMAG1345-20170426-072834992.jpg

Scotia has been discussed  here at length before. Until now , the engine installation was not certain, though I think Mr Hogg had a very educated guess at a National. The motor conversion was done at the Gorton repair yard and the LNER apparently  sought to buy a locally produced engine, the National Gas Engine Co being about 3 miles away in Ashton Under Lyne. As far as I know the motor was fitted about 1927, though this sounds rather early for the 2DM production , does anyone know the start date for this model? 

Perhaps for comparison purposes, the LNER's only  other motor for their "Western Canals" (Ashton,Peak Forest & Macclesfield) , Joel , was fitted with a Kelvin petrol/paraffin engine type  E2, rated at 9HP, this installation and the boat lasted until 1948 when replaced with a new Joel , engine uprated to  a Kelvin 15HP F2 . 

I understand that Scotia still exists in part at Stone(?) having been recovered from Whatcroft Flash on the T & M thirty odd years ago.

Bill

• Greenie 1

Ive seen photos of boats like Violet before, Im not sure they were converted from butties or if it was a particular style for the area they worked. Ive a feeling the name Horsfield as a company had some very similar in style to this boat, I will have a look in my books to confirm when I am in my shed later unless someone else can put me right.

It certainly looks like a Bridgewater boat of the type operated by Horsfields. Looking through my collection for National information, I came across this, which comes from a 1936 National Engine Bulletin. I seem to remember people asking about the original GUC National engine controls.

.GUC motor boat engine controls

6 minutes ago, Pluto said:

It certainly looks like a Bridgewater boat of the type operated by Horsfields. Looking through my collection for National information, I came across this, which comes from a 1936 National Engine Bulletin. I seem to remember people asking about the original GUC National engine controls.

.GUC motor boat engine controls

There is a picture in the back of the same booklet that shows a two cylinder engine/gearbox with the same gear change wheel, on top of a short vertical shaft.