Enlarging drain holes

Featured Posts

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 11:58, wobbly ollie said:

Thanks folks. I am of to get some decent jigsaw blades. Re lubrication....(not a requirement with MDF!) what do you suggest? Hand held water spray to keep things cool or maybe WD40?

I have been told milk makes quite a good cutting lubricant if you don't have anything else.

If you just drill a hole at lowest point and then perhaps enlarge it with a bigger drill to stop it getting blocked is there really any need to extend the existing drain holes? If these are gas locker drain holes then you shouldn't really get much debris inside the gas locker that would block the new holes. You might get something coming in from the river/canal I suppose, but that depends on how close they are to the waterline.

A 15 or 20mm round hole will drain any water or gas so why give yourself the extra work of extending and joining up the holes if you don't need to?

Edited by blackrose

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 13:06, blackrose said:

If you just drill a hole at lowest point and then perhaps enlarge it with a bigger drill to stop it getting blocked is there really any need to extend the existing drain holes? If these are gas locker drain holes then you shouldn't really get much debris inside the gas locker that would block the new holes. You might get something coming in from the river/canal I suppose, but that depends on how close they are to the waterline.

A 15 or 20mm round hole will drain any water or gas so why give yourself the extra work of extending and joining up the holes if you don't need to?

The op also stated that the holes will need to drain the well deck, having experienced undersized drainage on my previous boat I think he's got the right approach. A round hole will be problematic due to its smaller size at the bottom having a tendency to catch dirt.