Enlarging drain holes

Featured Posts

I want to elongate the drain holes on the well deck and the gas locker. Both pairs of holes are 3-4 cms ahead of the cross bulkhead and consequently i have a strip 3-4 cms width of non drained water. Is there a particular grinding tool or method that anyone can recomend?

If you're not due into a dry dock any time soon you will need to find an area of towpath that's quite low, start by drilling a reasonably sized hole in the corner where the drain will finish, and join up to the existing one with a jigsaw.

Noticed this on my sailaway in fit out. Have wondered whether a less intrusive idea might be to "fix" a piece of tube, plastic or copper with one end at the low point int say the gas locker and the other through the hole to a lower point.  It might result in self syphoning. Haven`t tried it yet but intend to. Would undoubtedly require cleaning from time to time so clear plastic might be the way to go stuck with waterproof tape or silicone.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

If you're not due into a dry dock any time soon you will need to find an area of towpath that's quite low, start by drilling a reasonably sized hole in the corner where the drain will finish, and join up to the existing one with a jigsaw.

I had the drilling method in mind but wasnt sure if there was a suitable mechanical grinding cutter? I guess a jigsaw would work although ive only ever cut mdf with mine !

23 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

I had the drilling method in mind but wasnt sure if there was a suitable mechanical grinding cutter? I guess a jigsaw would work although ive only ever cut mdf with mine !

If you buy decent metal cutting blades - Bosch, DeWalt, Irwin - with a bit of lube, then you should not have a problem.  When the blade starts to go blunt, chuck it away.

40 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

what is wrong with using a standard 115mm angle grinder fitted with a standard grinding disc?  

provided you have mains power.

If the op is after anything smaller than a letter box, a disc of that size is impractical.

44 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

As Chewbacca said regarding the blades, i've cut several holes in the cabin top for flues, mushroom vents, etc. 

37 minutes ago, BWM said:

As Chewbacca said regarding the blades, i've cut several holes in the cabin top for flues, mushroom vents, etc. 

Yup, don't force it and do use lube. The blade will go blunt at which time resist the temptation to force it, just change it. 

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A nice file would soon enlarge the holes, a nice big bastard one. Make sure it has a handle though or the tang will bore a hole in your palm.

Every schoolboy's source of fun in metalwork... "Hey John, pass me that bastard file!"

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Noticed this on my sailaway in fit out. Have wondered whether a less intrusive idea might be to "fix" a piece of tube, plastic or copper with one end at the low point int say the gas locker and the other through the hole to a lower point.  It might result in self syphoning. Haven`t tried it yet but intend to. Would undoubtedly require cleaning from time to time so clear plastic might be the way to go stuck with waterproof tape or silicone.

I think you will run into BSS problems in the gas locker as if the end of the pipe is underwater in the bottom of the locker gas cant flow out

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Every schoolboy's source of fun in metalwork... "Hey John, pass me that bastard file!"

And the joke.    Chap went into an iron mongers.   I'd want to buy a bastard file, he said to the girl behind the counter. Oooh!! she went and ran of to tell the manager there was a customer swearing in the the shop.  What did he say said the manager,  he said he wanted a bastard file, said she.  That's correct, that's what a certain type of file is called said the manager. Oh, said she and went back to the customer.  Well sir, would you like this little bastard, this middle sized or this big bastard file. No, said the man I think I'll have that big f----r over there.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Yup, don't force it and do use lube. The blade will go blunt at which time resist the temptation to force it, just change it. 

Thanks folks. I am of to get some decent jigsaw blades. Re lubrication....(not a requirement with MDF!) what do you suggest? Hand held water spray to keep things cool or maybe WD40?

1 minute ago, wobbly ollie said:

Thanks folks. I am of to get some decent jigsaw blades. Re lubrication....(not a requirement with MDF!) what do you suggest? Hand held water spray to keep things cool or maybe WD40?

3-in-1 works well. WD40 tends to run everywhere and smoke a lot when things get hot. 

31 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

If shopping in toolstation they do sell lube - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75018  though any thin oil will do.  Just spray a bit on every few mm of cut.  Go slow when cutting so as to keep the blade cool, it will last a lot longer if you do.

Edited by Chewbacka

The grinder could only be used from the outside, being up against the bulkhead and within the confines of a gas locker. This would create a larger hole on the outside, due to the round profile of the disc. I'd also assumed that the op wants a flat bottomed, 'D' shaped hole, not the easiest job with a grinder, and usually created with a gas torch in boat yards.

Each to their own.

you don't 'alf make it sound difficult.

IMHO it's just a case of NIKE.

...............  years ago I was working in a joint venture with an Indian contractor.  Their culture required them to request approval for every little thing they did.  I visited a sportswear store and persuaded them to give me a huge NIKE poster, which I stuck on the wall behind my desk.  Most requests were responded by me just pointing over my shoulder.  

25 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

you don't 'alf make it sound difficult.

IMHO it's just a case of NIKE.

...............  years ago I was working in a joint venture with an Indian contractor.  Their culture required them to request approval for every little thing they did.  I visited a sportswear store and persuaded them to give me a huge NIKE poster, which I stuck on the wall behind my desk.  Most requests were responded by me just pointing over my shoulder.  

Did you add the "F" bit yourself to make it read JFDI? :D

Ditchcrawler. I don`t think I made myself clear I have no intention of totally blocking the gas locker vent holes. The size of tube I was considering was something like 6mm. It could also be position at the very top of the vent hole. I do not see that that would prevent leaking gas escaping. If queried then perhaps a secondary 6mm hole for the tube above the vent hole.

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Ditchcrawler. I don`t think I made myself clear I have no intention of totally blocking the gas locker vent holes. The size of tube I was considering was something like 6mm. It could also be position at the very top of the vent hole. I do not see that that would prevent leaking gas escaping. If queried then perhaps a secondary 6mm hole for the tube above the vent hole.

OK I thought you were "fitting" the pipe so it filled the hole