Pump out toilet dump through bowl not fixed down

Pistol

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Cant find the answer to this on the web but does anyone know how to fix down a pump out toilet that can literally just be lifted up? Its a dump through with a spinning ball as a plug.

Hi

Yes they are usualy bolted down with captive bolts held in the top of the tank. They have either not been fitted which would be unusual or they have rusted and dropped thro into the tank or some alien has been and eaten them. You can buy a set of bolts and its not too hard to do.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi

Yes they are usualy bolted down with captive bolts held in the top of the tank. They have either not been fitted which would be unusual or they have rusted and dropped thro into the tank or some alien has been and eaten them. You can buy a set of bolts and its not too hard to do.

Ditto. They do rust easily it seems.

On 25/04/2017 at 20:35, Pistol said:

Cant find the answer to this on the web but does anyone know how to fix down a pump out toilet that can literally just be lifted up? Its a dump through with a spinning ball as a plug.

The answer will be set out in complete detail in the installation instructions.

My gut feeling is the top of your holding tank will have rusted away though, where the fixing bolts are. This is the usual reason, and a truly horrible task to put right.

1. These toilets come with a separate base assembly that bolts onto the top of the tank, as said above these bolts can and do rust through.

2. The pan clamps to this base by a clamp ring that pulls the two halves together via tapers. If this ring is loose of not correctly fitted you can get lift on the bowl.

3. The base is supposed to be a two part construction with the lower part a sort of plastic bayonet fitting that is the one bolted onto the tank with a thick gasket. On my boat this was missing and (as said above) the main part of the base was bolted directly to the tank/floor board wit two such gaskets.

4. The bolts supplied had fully heads on them that fitted the bayonet base but were only yellow zinc coated. I used  some suitable A4 stainless bolts and nuts plus penny washers below.  One does have to put your arm down the hole to push the bolts up and hold then with a spanner though.

Usual failure is the little flange breaking loose from the bolts that hold the base of the bog to the big plastic base flange. These are available at most chandlers but will fail again quite quickly. Get some stainless steel coach bolts and make your own, an hour or so with an angle grinder a file will get them made. They will last a long time. I speak here based upon personal experience rather than just a "potential good idea".

............Dave

Second the above.

The bolts are made of sintered brass (ugh!) and corrode quite quickly. An appalling design. I think I paid £15  for a set.

As Dave said above, Get some SS 6mm coach bolts, nuts and washers, file or grind the heads to mimic the bronze jobbies and you're away. Mine have lasted 10 years to date....

I think Screwfix were the suppliers.

Thanks all.

Im not to handy with an angle grinder so will try and find someone who is after i get the kit.

I think all the various parts referred to above are missing but will check at weekend.

Thanks all.

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thanks all.

Im not to handy with an angle grinder so will try and find someone who is after i get the kit.

I think all the various parts referred to above are missing but will check at weekend.

Thanks all.

In that case the lower half of the toilet is probably bolted straight onto the tank with a thick gasket or two. If that is the case don't mess about with angle grinders or files, just use stainless steel hexagon setscrews, nuts and washers. It is not difficult to push them up through the tank by putting your hand down the hole.