Battery

jddevel

Featured Posts

It meant that their Klug-gauge is reading all wrong and so they had to, first, gorge themselves on carrots to see better before surfacing at night to recharge the battery. Sometimes they did it with an exhaust snorkel.

Edited by bizzard

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Clearly he meant dreihundert Ampere. 

:clapping:

Green thingy for you sir :)

3 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Maximum available Power?some Batteries Depleted others charged enough?

How did he know? Did he have a BMV?

;)

Just now, cereal tiller said:

A proper Engineer would have recommended running the Sub. on the surface and deploying an Ecofan or two utilising the Heat from the Exhausted Batteries

Either that or re-configureing the dilithium crystals and ejecting the warp core. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Ejecting the Warp Core could be tricky,especially if the Sub. was a long way from a Sanitary station?

I feel a Klingon  joke coming on...... 

Q: What does the Enterprise and Toliet paper have in common? A: They both circle Uranus wiping out Klingons 

5 hours ago, jddevel said:

Victron inverter purchased as a result of advice from this forum. Mastervolt or Victron. Victron more competitively priced. The more I read about battery management the more I`m confused. Is the advice now that it would be helpful to have both a battery management instrument AND a Smartguage please? Plus if I went for Trojan is the self watering system one that can be purchased in conjunction with say Trojan or is it something that can be made up?

Please be patient I`m certainly out of my depth-and not even in the water yet!!!!! Sailing was easier!!!

Although I have Mastervolt, I'd be quite happy with your choice of Victron kit, so bank that as a good move.

I do have a Victron battery monitor and find it easy to use to get the info I want by monitoring Amps when charging (to assess full charge by tail current) and Ah used plus Volts when discharging (there's 12v battery charge state charts on the Web - I try never to go below 12.2v resting voltage which equates to approx 60% charge). The Ah count is OK as an indication of how many Ah you've used since last full charge, but the percentage capacity remaining figure is a bit of a guess as it doesn't know what your ever decreasing actual total battery capacity is and if it resets to 100% charge before it genuinely is 100‰ it gets progressively more inaccurate. This is why some folk swear by the Smartgauge as it estimates percentage charge from voltage measurements using a 'clever' algorithm, so both gauges are often recommended to get a fuller picture, although not everyone is convinced. 

Once again, you can ruin an expensive set of batteries as quickly as a cheap set by a poor charging regime, so I'd be wary of shelling out big bucks til you're happy you've got the hang of it.

Hope that helps a bit.

8 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The reason I think a smartguage isn't needed is that it's poor when your charging so you undercharge.   A voltage meter tells you roughly when to charge so why do you need a smartguage to tell you that!

Especially true in my case, where one SmartGauge says 51% and the other usually says about 70%.

A five quid voltmeter would be just as accurate, notwithstanding the need to interpret the result depending on what loads are connected. If one charges when the voltmeter gets down to about 12.0v with a few small loads on, this is probably about the same accuracy as a £130 Smartgauge fresh out of the box.

And there will be a tendency to start recharging too soon, if anything.

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Especially true in my case, where one SmartGauge says 51% and the other usually says about 70%.

A five quid voltmeter would be just as accurate, notwithstanding the need to interpret the result depending on what loads are connected. If one charges when the voltmeter gets down to about 12.0v with a few small loads on, this is probably about the same accuracy as a £130 Smartgauge fresh out of the box.

And there will be a tendency to start recharging too soon, if anything.

I'll give you ten quid for your two poorly calibrated  Smartgauges and even chuck in a couple of cheap Chinese voltmeters,! 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, Col_T said:

Is there a problem with starting to recharge as soon as you can? I thought the collective wisdom had decided that charging as soon as poss. removed the likelihood of irrecoverable sulphation.

There is no problem at all. In fact leaving it until the batteries are down to 50% is the root of the problem with my own goosed battery set. Doing this turns out to be really badddd for batteries so it is odd the received board wisdom is that batteries only need recharging once they get down to 50%.

This is wrong. They need re-charging every time you draw any charge out of them at all, strictly speaking. A good compromise seems to be to recharge to approaching 100% every day, then recharge fully and properly to 100% once a week. 

I'm beginning to conclude a voltmeter is therefore as good a guide as any, just so you know you aren't ever taking them below a nominal 50%. A decent ammeter is the only way to know they are charged to 100%.