Aylesbury arm - disappointed.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Ok guys, so why did nobody tell me how nice the Aylesbury arm is? Quiet, pretty, nice easy narrow locks at regular intervals (escape the Fat Boats, yay!) It's just not acceptable that I wasn't told. If you all club together and buy me the cottage by Black Jack's lock to live in when I'm too decrepit to boat any more, I'll say nothing more about it.

Cheers,

MP.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Ok guys, so why did nobody tell me how nice the Aylesbury arm is? Quiet, pretty, nice easy narrow locks at regular intervals (escape the Fat Boats, yay!) It's just not acceptable that I wasn't told. If you all club together and buy me the cottage by Black Jack's lock to live in when I'm too decrepit to boat any more, I'll say nothing more about it.

Cheers,

MP.

Glad someone has found out (From an Aylesbury moorer)

Worth noting that Locks 10 and 11 are closed from 11am tomorrow until 2pm on Thursday for water loss works (Whatever they are)

Edited by Tim Lewis

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Cheers,

MP.

We saw it first!

173 Aylesbury To Bulbourne 11th Aprl 2015.JPG

But it's not always as nice:

Tim

Aylesbury Arm Feb 2009.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Tim

Aylesbury Arm Feb 2009.jpg

But better than lock 14, where we met Fulbourne today, being bowhauled in due to loss of engine cooling. We left them on the top lock landing, firtling. Hope they get past the stoppage in time.

We're moored outside Waitrose in the basin for the next couple of days.

MP.

It's so nice to get away from the noise and distraction of road and rail,  and a real beauty spot - don't tell everyone!

Have seen more than one cabin top removed by the bridges, generally the shed like additions seen on some ageing Tupperware.

19 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

But better than lock 14, where we met Fulbourne today, being bowhauled in due to loss of engine cooling. We left them on the top lock landing, firtling. Hope they get past the stoppage in time.

We're moored outside Waitrose in the basin for the next couple of days.

MP.

You will be glad to know that the cooling water problem was fixed and we got past the stoppage, now off to Cavalcade.

Tim

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Does anyone know what the big factory is near to lock 12? It's not on the Google satellite photos, so must be pretty new.

Cheers,

MP.

Its the ARLA megga dairy.

Went down yesterday to Aylesbury and it is indeed beautiful and surprisingly quiet. Worth noting that the edge seems too shallow to moor anywhere except designated visitor moorings.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Worth noting that the edge seems too shallow to moor anywhere except designated visitor moorings.

You're not trying hard enough. We found at least a couple of places to moor a 2'10" deep, 60' long boat. still floating, that were not VMs.

MP.

4 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

You're not trying hard enough. We found at least a couple of places to moor a 2'10" deep, 60' long boat. still floating, that were not VMs.

MP.

Haha yes we probably did give up too easily, we were thirsty! I don't suppose you remember where they were? :D

56 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Haha yes we probably did give up too easily, we were thirsty! I don't suppose you remember where they were? :D

OK. Don't tell everybody :)

There's a boat-length of ARMCO next to the lock landing above lock 10.

There was somewhere in the long pound between 13 and 14, I think near bridge 12, but don't quote me on that.

Cheers,

MP.