78ft barge crane lifting

Richard1974

Featured Posts

Hi am new on the boat world. Please new to know before l buy a barge. If a crane can lift a 78ft barge from one mooring to other about 1 mile apart. And what the cost can be.  Thanks. Please hope someone can help. Regards richard

IMG_0740.JPG

28 minutes ago, Richard1974 said:

Hi am new on the boat world. Please new to know before l buy a barge. If a crane can lift a 78ft barge from one mooring to other about 1 mile apart. And what the cost can be.  Thanks. Please hope someone can help. Regards richard

IMG_0740.JPG

There are cranes that will easily lift the boat. The biggest problem is finding places where the crane can safely get close enough both lift it out and return it to the water. The road between the two lifts will also have to be able to take the wide load.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Anything is possible aslong as you have the money so yes it can be lifted. 

Not that much up on prices but the size of it.....maybe £1500.

Best to call a few crane companies to ask.

As Tim says is there room by road, the crane companies will have to plan that in themselves. 

Hi,

Depends where you are and where you want to go to, looks as though it's a converted Thames lighter - on the GU near London? (see you are in Uxbridge) if so you should be able to move it by water - perhaps needing a tow - more info would be helpful.

L.

you need to know the lifting radius to establish the size of crane, which requires the crane company to assess the location/s and work out how close they can safely get to the edge.

for example it might need a 200tonne crane which could cost you one arm and half a leg.............  or you might get away with a 60tonner.  

sorry - the answer is 'how long is a piece of string?'

A new Dutch barge was lifted in almost opposite where this boat is moored around ten years ago by m+m crane hire who are based in uxbridge, would certainly be worth talking to them. Depending on the route needing to be taken the length of the craft may present a problem - this boat was at one time moored in Denham yacht station, as a restaurant I believe and would have been delivered there by road if it is that length, the business is still in the same hands so a chat with them may be worthwhile

I do not think it will  have been lifted in with a crane because of the cost a 60 ton crane can only lift 60 ton at the centre pin when it jibs out the ability drops quickly. I hired a 120 ton crane 10 years ago it cost £1500. Most 70 foot locks are bigger than that but you have to be careful.

4 hours ago, The Bagdad Boatman (waits) said:

I do not think it will  have been lifted in with a crane because of the cost a 60 ton crane can only lift 60 ton at the centre pin when it jibs out the ability drops quickly. I hired a 120 ton crane 10 years ago it cost £1500. Most 70 foot locks are bigger than that but you have to be careful.

The lock at Cowley is quite generous but I don't think the boat in question has a counter, and as such can't take advantage of this overhanging the cill, I'm sure that the barges built for the gravel run were slightly longer at around 73 1/2 feet. Another thing for the op to consider is that the dimensions would mean that this boat hasn't seen a dry dock for at least 35-40 years.

Edited by BWM
  • Greenie 1

I cannot offer advice as such - but just some thoughts . 

I would be very wary of buying a boat that size . If it doesnt go thru any locks you will be " chained " to using cranes if / when u ever need to move it and i expect you will pay a small fortune to do so . The fact that this boat needs to be moved by crane only mayb also seriously affect your ability to sell it later on unless you put it on a residential mooring and sell it on as a package .

i know these moorings and i do not think it will be an easy job . 

You ll be best to contact some firms who do this sort of thing or pop into the two boatyards nearby for advice .

I would expect this boat move to cost a fortune - full on London prices i expect . Get some figures and have a serious rethink . If u intend to keep it it may become an expensive purchase going forward 

cheers

ETA : do you KNOW how long it is for certain ? How have you ascertained it to be 78 ft ? seems a  strange size to me 

Eta: im sure ive also read that the costs involved are mainly down to the crane and lorry hire . The fact that the distance between lift out and lift in is very short may be of no consequence. Again , get in touch with companies who do this work for more accurate info or the nearby boatyards 

Edited by chubby

Can't help but think there's something not quite right about a 'boat' that can't move on the waterway it's on. You might as well move it ashore!  Are there no boats for sale that can move?  Youll have your reasons, I'm sure, but you're missing the whole joy of boating with this hulk.

My guess : This is a buy to live in  / sell " investment " . Youd be bonkers to buy it for any other reason IMO . 

I have a CRT mooring and in my agreement it states that my boat must have an engine - it must be moveable ( i think it says this anyway ) and this big boats on a crt mooring . Strange ... maybe ? 

To me , its a ballache waiting to happen unless its bought , given a splash of " london narrowboat white " internally , some wooden floors , some poncey taps etc and put on a resi mooring in order to make a profit - as a cruising boats its got to be useless ? 

It's too high to pass under most bridges on the system, and had another tier removed to allow it to move from Denham yacht onto browns meadow some years back. Doesn't sound like the potential purchaser wants to cruise, just moving onto another mooring - I'm struggling to think of any available of that length locally, benbow way being the only choice but dead man's shoes come to mind.

It would be far from the ideal barge to CC with.

What to do for the surveys, as it has to go into a drydock, or be craned out on hard standing somewhere.

If for every move you'll need a big crane and a pretty huge flatbed trailer, it will be a very costly business.

I wouldn't accept it, if they offered it to me for free.

Peter.

6 hours ago, chubby said:

I cannot offer advice as such - but just some thoughts . 

I would be very wary of buying a boat that size . If it doesnt go thru any locks you will be " chained " to using cranes if / when u ever need to move it and i expect you will pay a small fortune to do so . The fact that this boat needs to be moved by crane only mayb also seriously affect your ability to sell it later on unless you put it on a residential mooring and sell it on as a package .

i know these moorings and i do not think it will be an easy job . 

You ll be best to contact some firms who do this sort of thing or pop into the two boatyards nearby for advice .

I would expect this boat move to cost a fortune - full on London prices i expect . Get some figures and have a serious rethink . If u intend to keep it it may become an expensive purchase going forward 

cheers

ETA : do you KNOW how long it is for certain ? How have you ascertained it to be 78 ft ? seems a  strange size to me 

Eta: im sure ive also read that the costs involved are mainly down to the crane and lorry hire . The fact that the distance between lift out and lift in is very short may be of no consequence. Again , get in touch with companies who do this work for more accurate info or the nearby boatyards 

According to the information l have it's a 25 meters long  don't know how heavy it is. But going to find out today thanks for ur help guys

IMG_0741.JPG

8 hours ago, Richard1974 said:

Yes by water it's not possible look can take only a 70ft long.  So it need to be lifted.  And for the crane  is plenty of room on the side road each end. Am worried more about the price thanks for the reply

The only way that you are goingto find a price is by getting a crane/haulage company such as MJT/Tuckeys to come out and give you a quotation

http://www.mjtcranes.co.uk/transport/tuckeys/

8 hours ago, BWM said:

The lock at Cowley is quite generous but I don't think the boat in question has a counter, and as such can't take advantage of this overhanging the cill, I'm sure that the barges built for the gravel run were slightly longer at around 73 1/2 feet. Another thing for the op to consider is that the dimensions would mean that this boat hasn't seen a dry dock for at least 35-40 years.

The list time it was on on a dry dock was in 2003 yes long time. Went to speak to the lock people at cowley and that says it's a no no situation to use the lock 

2 hours ago, Richard1974 said:

According to the information l have it's a 25 meters long  don't know how heavy it is. But going to find out today thanks for ur help guys

25m long is more like 82 feet.  I suggest you check the length, as the truck company will quote on the length you tell them.

1 hour ago, Richard1974 said:

The list time it was on on a dry dock was in 2003 yes long time. Went to speak to the lock people at cowley and that says it's a no no situation to use the lock 

Where was it docked? I doubt that uxbridge would accommodate a craft of those dimensions. I'd definitely want some evidence before purchasing an ex commercial craft (they are generally sold when no longer economical to keep), with no history of maintenance for several decades.