can i put speed boat engine on 40 ft grp canal cruiser?

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Maybe by modern standards, but they're light, difficult to destroy, easy to repair, don't mind being dunked and ......

I love our Seagull! My son has nicked it at the moment, but it is still going strong after 39 years. My lungs are knackered though ;)

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Maybe by modern standards, but they're light, difficult to destroy, easy to repair, don't mind being dunked and ......

A REME armourer I know was asked (ordered)  a few years ago to assist clearing of the D-Day beaches.

They found a number of Seagull engines scattered along the beaches and all had been 'buried' in the sand for 60+ years. He took a couple back to the workshops, gave them a 'jet-wash' changed the plug and the fuel and 'away they went'.

You don't get that with your modern Yamuki's or Honrudes.

The 'problem' with the early seagulls is the oil mixture at 10:1, this was reduced to 25:1 after 1978 but still costs a 'fortune' in oil.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A REME armourer I know was asked (ordered)  a few years ago to assist clearing of the D-Day beaches.

They found a number of Seagull engines scattered along the beaches and all had been 'buried' in the sand for 60+ years. He took a couple back to the workshops, gave them a 'jet-wash' changed the plug and the fuel and 'away they went'.

You don't get that with your modern Yamuki's or Honrudes.

They were designed to be chucked away if necessary, but the military ones were made of bronze rather than aluminium. Much collected and fetch good money 

The 'problem' with the early seagulls is the oil mixture at 10:1, this was reduced to 25:1 after 1978 but still costs a 'fortune' in oil.

With modern oils, they run on 25:1 making them slightly less smokey. You either buy a new needle or change the mixture slightly. A good website is Saving Old Seagulls. Some (idiots) actually race them!  

18 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am still trying to work out how a 9ft beam can legitimately be called "a canal cruiser". An inland, inshore or estuary cruiser possibly but only any good for the wide/broad canals. 

It sounds like there is little intention to move this boat very far other than in the London region.

Not, I would have thought, an ideal boat in a situation where breasting up with narrow boats is very much the norm in order to secure a mooring.

Presumably if being lived aboard OP will also be running a generator, as a high power outboard is unlikely to supply domestic power needs.

20 hours ago, paulmag said:

thanks i cant believe iv recieved so much info/help i really appreciate it. im using this boat on 1 stretch of canal/river only. as i work in london. i dont plan on going anywhere else iv been up and down this canal all year and know it well. the ply on the transom is a great idea.