What Is This Part Called - Eye Plate / Chain Plate / Staple with attached chain

Featured Posts

I am looking for the parts traditionally used to secure the back doors / slide of a typical back cabin.

This needs two parts I can variously find called "Chain Plate", "Eye Plate" or "Staple", but one needs to come with a length of chain attached which then goes over one without chain, before a padlock is inserted.

I can easily find the "Chain Plate", "Eye Plate" or "Staple" part, and even one with a permanently attached ring, but cannot find one with the length of chain to use to secure such an arrangement.

66964.jpg

They are pre-made items, and the chain needs an end link different from the rest of the chain to go over the plate not having a chain.

Anybody know what I should be Googling for, or better still can anybody actually find the required parts?

Thanks

DSCF4201.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher
To add picture of what I'm after in use

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-staple-on-plate-m6-zinc-plated/40937

Oops sorry. I didn't read the whole post. Welding anything that has been zinc plated is unpleasant in my experience. Not sure what the gases involved are but they are nasty.

Edited by Cheshire cat

I have never seen these 'off the shelf' with a chain attached - the loop is usually fairly easily removable so you can fit chain then weld back together or cut the chain link and re-weld. The long link chain in the picture is probably only  fencing chain made from very soft easily to cut steel. Standard lifting hoist chain is made from high tensile steel and is more suitable and can be bought with a large end ring. The best security chains are made for motor cycle protection.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

DSCF4201.JPG

"Anybody know what I should be Googling for, or better still can anybody actually find the required parts?"

Why not nick the one of the blue boat when the owner is away?  ;)

Edited by Ray T

I have seen these being sold by a blacksmith near colnbrook, but they were being offered as a clearance deal and are no longer available there. Might be worth looking at a blacksmith elsewhere though.

Hmm, I don't weld, o if these are not an off the shelf item, I suppose I will have to find someone to make one up.

The one I already have in use shows no hint of having been made up from other parts, so I'm fairly convinced they were a made item in the past.

There are, of course, other things that could be used, but I really do want something that looks traditional.

6 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

My solution to this is to use a shackle and then grind the ends off the pin so that it is impossible to undo.

This could be a work-around - yes.

I guess you could also add super glue when putting it together.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

How about a U bolt passed through the end link in you chain and bolted on the inside?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-bright-zinc-plated-steel-u-bolt-m6-x-48mm/3283r

Not really possible to have the inside nuts in my situation.

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Would a door safety chain or similar be of use ? there are some different types on Fleabay

I couldn't see anything that could be adapted.

41 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This could be a work-around - yes.

I guess you could also add super glue when putting it together.

Not really possible to have the inside nuts in my situation.

I couldn't see anything that could be adapted.

How about this with the knob chopped off the chain so its like the second picture. Otherwise buy a black plate and a length of chain and have the first link cut and welded

chain.JPG

chain 2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 2017-4-24 at 18:23, alan_fincher said:

I am looking for the parts traditionally used to secure the back doors / slide of a typical back cabin.

This needs two parts I can variously find called "Chain Plate", "Eye Plate" or "Staple", but one needs to come with a length of chain attached which then goes over one without chain, before a padlock is inserted.

I can easily find the "Chain Plate", "Eye Plate" or "Staple" part, and even one with a permanently attached ring, but cannot find one with the length of chain to use to secure such an arrangement.

66964.jpg

Could you drill and tap from the back side of the Plate/staple, then cut off the staple put it through chain then reattach staple with bolts from the rear. Hope this makes sense .

On 25/04/2017 at 11:29, koukouvagia said:

My solution to this is to use a shackle and then grind the ends off the pin so that it is impossible to undo.

I bet I could undo one ground off like this in about ten seconds using a pair of top quality pipe grips.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet I could undo one ground off like this in about ten seconds using a pair of top quality pipe grips.

Yes, but frankly with most such arrangements you could probably equally nearly as easily remove the screws attaching it to the slide, or simply use a wrecking bar to lever it off.  Probably more opportunist thieves will be carrying a screwdriver or a gemmy than top quality pipe grips.

These are not exactly high security at the best of times, even if all welded.

On 25/05/2017 at 09:09, alan_fincher said:

Yes, but frankly with most such arrangements you could probably equally nearly as easily remove the screws attaching it to the slide, or simply use a wrecking bar to lever it off.  Probably more opportunist thieves will be carrying a screwdriver or a gemmy than top quality pipe grips.

These are not exactly high security at the best of times, even if all welded.

Quite right but again, you are answering me out of context. I was challenging Jim's absolute statement that it would be impossible to undo. I think it would be possible to undo.