Moorings in Tring Wendover Arm

alvicchas1

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Take a spade.☺

I don't think restoration will shorten the distance. The arrow marks the end of navigation

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=491525&y=212825&z=120&sv=491525,212825&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=738&ax=491525&ay=212825&lm=0

tring.jpg.f61ce310d46b5b40814607bcfb3a5850.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
Impatience

Not much of the Wendover Arm has been restored yet, and I am not sure if there is any mooring. There is some towpath mooring quite close to Tring Station (south of the Station if I remember correctly) on the GU main line, and it is only a short walk into town. Whilst there, don't miss the opportunity to visit the Rothschild's Natural History Museum which is located just off the main street.

Edited by David Schweizer

29 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Thanks for the responses. Will venture down the arm tomorrow and report back the mooring situation.

I can advise you will find moorings, if not full, at the basin. Most of the arm in water is too narrow to moor sensibly.

34 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I can advise you will find moorings, if not full, at the basin. Most of the arm in water is too narrow to moor sensibly.

Funny when the Wendover Trust use to hold their fund raising festival the boats moored two abreast for most of the length and still left room for boats to go up and down

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Funny when the Wendover Trust use to hold their fund raising festival the boats moored two abreast for most of the length and still left room for boats to go up and down

Hilarious I'm sure.

The profile is quite a VEE shape so good luck.

5 hours ago, alvicchas1 said:

Hi All, 

Does anybody know if there are moorings close to Tring village?

Thanks

Being pedantic Tring is far more than a village, and has been for centuries.

Confusingly the current end of the arm until more is reopened is at Little Tring, but that is a different place from Tring, which is not that close to any part of the arm, whether open, or still closed.

The easiest way to access Tring from the canal is to moor at Tring station, on the main line summit, and maybe take the bus, as you are still a couple of miles from Tring town centre.

27 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Being pedantic Tring is far more than a village, and has been for centuries.

Confusingly the current end of the arm until more is reopened is at Little Tring, but that is a different place from Tring, which is not that close to any part of the arm, whether open, or still closed.

The easiest way to access Tring from the canal is to moor at Tring station, on the main line summit, and maybe take the bus, as you are still a couple of miles from Tring town centre.

Is there an echo in here?

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Is there an echo in here?

Not really, as you didn't mention the availability of a bus.

People's definition of "a short walk" varies too - it is probably about 2 miles to Tring town centre, (or 4 miles by the time you have walked back again).

I would say I am enhancing the answer you gave, by giving some additional information!

As a complete aside, a 1903 diary we found for my grandfather Harry, born in Tring and lifetime resident thereof, shows that when he was at deaf and dumb school in London and returning to the family home, his sister Lizzie used to come and pick him up from the station in the "wagonette" I must admit I had no idea what one was, until I Googled it!

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't often tell lies

No one said you did. Notwithstanding you can "pack em in" in the spirit a general meet and acquire temp use of private field, what was actually said was "most of the Wendover is too shallow and narrow to moor sensibly". I should think that with dry weather lately it's fairly good avice to head to the end. Yes there is width but the shallow sections either side make it hard for other boats to get past you.

Edited by mark99

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

No one said you did. Notwithstanding you can "pack em in" in the spirit a general meet and acquire temp use of private field, what was actually said was "most of the Wendover is too shallow and narrow to moor sensibly". I should think that with dry weather lately it's fairly good avice to head to the end. Yes there is width but the shallow sections either side make it hard for other boats to get past you.

You can moor, but need a decent gang plank on the field sections, as well as shears to cut away the undergrowth - a tricky operation getting baock on the boat after a night on Tring Brewery's finest at the festivals!

11 minutes ago, WJM said:

The Wendover Arm is one of the nicest sections of canal I have ever travelled on. 

I reckon that the Aylesbury arm gives it a run for the money, until you get close to the town.

Watch out for any car or van parked up by the steps overlooking the canal on the road that leads to Tring station with dubious looking characters in it. My cousin was moored just there when he went to telephone me at the station. When he got back to his boat, a while later, he happened to go to his engine room at the back for something when he thought something was missing. It was his generator, a big heavy thing on a frame. The thieves had watched him leave the boat from there car and entered it probably with a knife or credit card through the Yale locked front door, walked through the boat and walked out with the generator, nothing else was touched at all, telly, nothing, all they wanted was the genny. The police said it happened a lot just there, hidden in the cutting with usually no one about to see them.  The car was a Ford Orion.  Beware if mooring there!

22 hours ago, alvicchas1 said:

Many thanks for your positive and helpful contribution to this post

More than welcome, god forgive you to make this faux pas to the local Berkhamsted residents association, you'd be strung up in the castle! 

• Greenie 1

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 10:37, bizzard said:

Watch out for any car or van parked up by the steps overlooking the canal on the road that leads to Tring station with dubious looking characters in it. My cousin was moored just there when he went to telephone me at the station. When he got back to his boat, a while later, he happened to go to his engine room at the back for something when he thought something was missing. It was his generator, a big heavy thing on a frame. The thieves had watched him leave the boat from there car and entered it probably with a knife or credit card through the Yale locked front door, walked through the boat and walked out with the generator, nothing else was touched at all, telly, nothing, all they wanted was the genny. The police said it happened a lot just there, hidden in the cutting with usually no one about to see them.  The car was a Ford Orion.  Beware if mooring there!

How recent was this? I last saw a Ford Orion in about 1998.