Liveaboard in Yorkshire

Chloeanna

Featured Posts

The quickest way of getting to Leeds City station from your boat  would be to prop a ladder up and climb up to the station from the tow path, the station is just where the railway crosses the river on big arches. Just about there is platform 1, I think, anyway a platform. Quite a long ladder would be needed to reach to the top of the platforms side wall, from where you can jump down upon the platform to catch your train. It would be wise to secure the ladder with string at the top for fear of it slipping sideways and dunking you in the river. Also it would be prudent to chain and padlock the ladder for fear of it getting stolen and spoiling your homeward journey, causing a long walk to be taken.    Hope this helps.  -_-

If your adept at mountaineering, the arch and wall could be scaled with ropes, pitons, axe and spiky climbing boots. Descent by absieling back down in the evening would be much quicker than by ladder too.

For this climb a head torch would be useful during the winter.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:19, Chloeanna said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm in the initial stages at looking at living permanently aboard, but before I go any further I need to know if its possible to live in either York or Leeds city centre. York is preferable, as close to the city as possible although happy to go to the west of York. Leeds would need to be central.

I would love any advice you can give me, been trying to do some research online however struggling with a lack of links on google... is this because it's just not possible (I really hope not!!)

Thanks in advance

Chloe 

Do you have any experience of boats OR have a family member/friend that does?

Are you mechanically minded and reasonably practical, have you got a basic toolkit, do you object to bilge-water OR have you got a healthy maintenance/contingency budget?

Have you ever spent an extended period living on a boat in winter?

Do you expect it to be a cheap housing option?

Depending on your answers to the above live-aboard boating may well be for you, but its not a cheap option if you want to do it properly/legally/sensibly.

• Greenie 1

I wouldn't ask any boatyard or mooring site about the Residential / Leisure thing. I wouldn't even mention how much time I would be staying on the boat. Most operate on a 'don't ask, don't tell basis'. If they are bothered, they'll ask you. If you start questioning them, they may assume you're someone official trying to catch them out and shut you down. 

I've known this happen. 

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

The quickest way of getting to Leeds City station from your boat  would be to prop a ladder up and climb up to the station from the tow path, the station is just where the railway crosses the river on big arches. Just about there is platform 1, I think, anyway a platform. Quite a long ladder would be needed to reach to the top of the platforms side wall, from where you can jump down upon the platform to catch your train. It would be wise to secure the ladder with string at the top for fear of it slipping sideways and dunking you in the river. Also it would be prudent to chain and padlock the ladder for fear of it getting stolen and spoiling your homeward journey, causing a long walk to be taken.    Hope this helps.  -_-

If your adept at mountaineering, the arch and wall could be scaled with ropes, pitons, axe and spiky climbing boots. Descent by absieling back down in the evening would be much quicker than by ladder too.

For this climb a head torch would be useful during the winter.

No need for ladders anymore, they have an entrance on that side now that even has escalators to help you with your climb. 

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

No need for ladders anymore, they have an entrance on that side now that even has escalators to help you with your climb. 

Escalators break down a lot though, and you can get your toes sliced off on them.

32 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Escalators break down a lot though, and you can get your toes sliced off on them.

Not to worry as that has also been planned as we also have those manual stair thingys and even a couple of those rooms that are held in a shaft like thing with bits of rope.

At the bottom of these devices we even have taxis that float on water that take you to the moorings!   Living the life in Leeds I tell ya!

Edited by Robbo

Just now, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Hmm we even have waxis that occupy the lock landing when others want to use it for say ..using the lock!  

Boaters have priority, if you find you have been pushed out please complain to Allied London.   There is a perfectly useable landing just next to the lock and closer to the station which for some reason they refuse to use.