Grand Union advice

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Hope zenoatm can do those dates 9-10 May, or if not that someone else local steps in. But if you're stuck I could turn up and help, although it's further than I'd normally travel for two days' boating.

Ok Peter, thanks for the offer. I will let you know nearer the time if I am stuck.

On 22/04/2017 at 10:33, rusty69 said:

We moored up at Lowestoft a few years back no rafters, had an early night to catch the 5 am tide for the Walton Backwaters  the next morning only to find 4 Dutch boats had come in the night (evidently very quietly). We didn't have the heart to wake them , so went back to bed and left on the following tide.

I was on the inside at a boat gathering in Northampton on the Nene asked the chap on the outside if we could swap as we were leaving early the next day, he said no point as he was leaving at dawn. We were still in the bar at midnight however at 0415 he was very sleepy when I woke him up so we could go ;)

On 2017-4-22 at 10:33, rusty69 said:

We moored up at Lowestoft a few years back no rafters, had an early night to catch the 5 am tide for the Walton Backwaters  the next morning only to find 4 Dutch boats had come in the night (evidently very quietly). We didn't have the heart to wake them , so went back to bed and left on the following tide.

That's Suffolk for you

On 21/04/2017 at 22:57, ianali said:

S altisford arm is a good overnight mooring, free for one night I think but donation of a fiver welcome. Good place for a walk into Warwick with good pubs and food plentiful. Electric and water available. We live in Nuneaton and it seems to get a bad press.. I am from Royal Leamington Spa and its a fine town that we visit often for shopping and food and drink. Some wonderful restaurants. Have moored in all these places without hassle. I would be interested to hear first hand experiences of people whom have had problems in these places?

Ian.

Whilst I quite like Warwick and Leamington Spa, you did ask for first hand experiences from people who have had problems in these places. We moored near to the Morrisons supermarket just outside of Leamington and at 1.00am were awoken by a group of about six drunks who thought that stomping about on the boat roof was a good idea. At the same location when mooring up to use the supermarket in the middle of the day came across 4 kids of about 13/14 years who were raking about on the unattended boat in front of where I was about to moor, I suggested to them that b*ggering off elswewhere might be a good option:rolleyes:. As they say it can happen anywhere

43 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Whilst I quite like Warwick and Leamington Spa, you did ask for first hand experiences from people who have had problems in these places. We moored near to the Morrisons supermarket just outside of Leamington and at 1.00am were awoken by a group of about six drunks who thought that stomping about on the boat roof was a good idea. At the same location when mooring up to use the supermarket in the middle of the day came across 4 kids of about 13/14 years who were raking about on the unattended boat in front of where I was about to moor, I suggested to them that b*ggering off elswewhere might be a good option:rolleyes:. As they say it can happen anywhere

Thanks.

Ian.

Edited by ianali

We were delighted with the Saltisford Arm last Autumn - a lovely spot.  Quite short, so don't go beyond the brick shop/clubhouse as the winding point is only just beyond it, and then there is a short dead end that would be a *** to get stuck in!  We were invited to breast up with a boat whose owner was abroad at the time.  There is a small but pleasant garden and then a gate in the wall to the "real world" that operates with the standard BW key.  Warwick is around 15 minutes walk up the hill.  There's the Castle to visit if you take out a new mortgage, or just admire the buildings especially the medieval "hospital".  A large town square has a wide choice of eateries; we braved the Wetherspoons and found it excellent value, if very busy.

55 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

It has a wide choice of eateries yet you chose Wetherspoons !?

I would not say that Warwick has an extensive range of shops or eateries, Leamington is the main centre of the two towns, so if you are looking for a shopping destination, then choose Leam over Warwick.

Yes, it does sound odd, but once we had eliminated the very niche restaurants, the ones offering everything "triple cooked" or "drizzled with garnish" and the just plain expensive, we were happy to try the impressive looking Wetherspoons. I've never been before, thinking it was a place for teens or harrased salesmen,  but it offered a fantastic steak at a very good price, although you didn't get much service from the hardworking staff.  I texted my son "Gone  'Spoons", but apparently Wetherspoons is now old hat amongst teens and I was sadly out of date with my teen talk.

On 01/05/2017 at 09:35, john6767 said:

I would not say that Warwick has an extensive range of shops or eateries, Leamington is the main centre of the two towns, so if you are looking for a shopping destination, then choose Leam over Warwick.

But it does have very nice independent shops. Tends to be pricey, though. SWMBO was looking for a trim yesterday and found one hairdresser asking £80 for a wet cut. For that you don't get it dried, that's another £40 :o

Another vote for the Saltisford Arm (but see the office and you'll be told where they want you to moor - if it's up the end bit and you can't manage it, you're not the sailor you appear to be! ;)). Warwick is nice enough, but I find it a bit disappointing - I think that's cos it's over sold and can't match up to its hype. I also kind of understand why Wetherspoons gets a lot of custom.

As for Leamington, I've always moored by the road bridge which gives the shortest walk to town. It doesn't appear too salubrious, but then nowhere does canal side there (what are you (not) thinking, town council?), but I've never had any issues. Handy shops by the bridge, including a lovely Indian lady who does home made allsorts and can do you a delicious takeaway if you chance to find her open. Full range of shopping in town, of course, but it's worth visiting even if you don't need anything.

Oh, and I should say that your son's idea of The Cape of Good Hope is a good one. The pub isn't what it was I suppose - it's moved a bit up market and got trendier - but it's still kept 'real' customers as well as added a younger crowd, serves decent food and beer and is dog friendly in the bar.

Edited by Sea Dog
The Cape

On 5/1/2017 at 08:38, lulu fish said:

We always eat in the Spoons at Leamington, good value food and a good range of cheap real ale. Worth noting that one of the two Spoons in Leamington, the Jug and Jester, has been sold and the other, the Benjamin Satchwell, is closed for refurbishmant until the 24th May.

Tim 

Edited by Tim Lewis