Painting the boat by the side of the canal, permit needed

robby09

Featured Posts

Hi just looking to see if anyone can cast any light on this subject. I have been told today by the owner of the moorings where my boat is moored that Bridgewater Canal Co brought in a rule last year that prevents work being carried out on boats without a work permit does anyone know anything about this as I cannot find any details on the websites of Peel Holdings or Bridgewater Canal?

If there is nothing mentioned on the web site and there does not appear to be anything in the "code of use" http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/todo/codeofuse then I would make a start being careful not to obstruct other towpath users (don't want complaints to Peel) and if someone comes along you can more than reasonably claim that you did not know, because Peel have never told you or added it to the "code of use".  Presumably there was nothing in the Ts&Cs the last time you renewed your licence for the canal?

Hi thanks for the reply. There is nothing in the licence renewable pack of info. I'm not on the tow path side I'm in a mooring on the offside so no obstruction at all. Maybe it's a noise issue but my engine is louder than any power tools I'm using.

Could it be a condition of any permissions the owner has had imposed on him from Peel Holdings and he is in turn passing this condition to you?

Check your mooring agreement - you may put yourself in default.

I am usually of the view that if you don't want the answer, then don't ask the question.  Let sleeping dogs lie and carry on, though if you disturb others with noise and or dust they may complain and then Peel may come for a look.  But if it is just a wash down, spot rub & prime then hand painting I wouldn't have thought anyone would complain, still you know your neighbours better than I do.  Just check with your moorings owner first to see if they have any objections as you don't want to upset them.

23 hours ago, robby09 said:

Hi just looking to see if anyone can cast any light on this subject. I have been told today by the owner of the moorings where my boat is moored that Bridgewater Canal Co brought in a rule last year that prevents work being carried out on boats without a work permit does anyone know anything about this as I cannot find any details on the websites of Peel Holdings or Bridgewater Canal?

If you have the word of the mooring owner and a verbal agreement that your tenancy relies on, you need to ensure he is happy about it. He may have been upset by someone making a mess in the past. Worst scenario would be to shift your boat to the towpath to carry out the work.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I am usually of the view that if you don't want the answer, then don't ask the question.  Let sleeping dogs lie and carry on, though if you disturb others with noise and or dust they may complain and then Peel may come for a look.  But if it is just a wash down, spot rub & prime then hand painting I wouldn't have thought anyone would complain, still you know your neighbours better than I do.  Just check with your moorings owner first to see if they have any objections as you don't want to upset them.

Ignorance is no excuse though. (not yours personally, but the person who didn't ask!)

13 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Fishermen have here in France at local level been able to stop a boat owner rubbing down the paintwork prior to repainting on the grounds of pollution to the mooring basin he was in.

But what type of antifouling was he rubbing off into the basin??  Some of the older coatings are fairly nasty so it might be reasonable to require proper anti pollution controls.  Just thinking aloud.

31 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ignorance is no excuse though. (not yours personally, but the person who didn't ask!)

Agreed, but if you do something which is against some unpublished rule (the op has been unable to find any mention of this 'rule' in his licence or on the website or published 'code' it is no where near as serious as asking, being told 'don't do it' and then carrying on.  -  Was the point I was trying to make, and who knows, you might even be finished before they even notice.  However there is a risk...........

30 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

But what type of antifouling was he rubbing off into the basin??

In his case he was sanding the boat afloat, so antifouling was not involved. Fishermen are fairly influentional with the village mayors here though, as there a lot of them and their vote counts.