Featured Posts

Whilst out and about I have not been able to source my usual source of oil, which I usually get d liveried to a post office as an address is needed , you can't get it delivered to a drop off point with e bay.I need to do a service soon, my partner got some oil from a garage with the right sae 15/40 although I have been using 10/40,but not api CC as I requested ,but she was advised 15w/40 meeting the requirement of api SL/CG4 is what I need and she bought it. I know the classifications have changed a bit,so will this be ok in a Isuzu 42.? Thanks

I would say almost certainly fine for just one oil change. However as at one time the Isuzu marinisers put a label round the filler cap specifying CC I would revert to CC or a lower API spec at the next oil change.

FWIW for the last two or three years I have been using API CF in the Bukh with no noticeable ill effects but the engine is very well run in. That is only 1 API spec lower than CG4. I think the 4 indicates the oil is less prone to black sludge formation (looks like black polythene film) but I understand that is to do with temperature so as our diesels hardly ever have to work hard I doubt it matters.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would say almost certainly fine for just one oil change. However as at one time the Isuzu marinisers put a label round the filler cap specifying CC I would revert to CC or a lower API spec at the next oil change.

FWIW for the last two or three years I have been using API CF in the Bukh with no noticeable ill effects but the engine is very well run in. That is only 1 API spec lower than CG4. I think the 4 indicates the oil is less prone to black sludge formation (looks like black polythene film) but I understand that is to do with temperature so as our diesels hardly ever have to work hard I doubt it matters.

I miss my Bukh.