SuperBatt ??

Glynn

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Hi all,

Has anyone any experience of Superbatt batteries ?, these in the link below seem to appear good .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-130AH-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-L330mm-X-W172mm-X-H240mm-SuperBatt-VDC130-/191928215973

No experience of these,but when comparing batteries try and find out what the 20hr rate is. If it's not listed it probably isn't good. 

Edited by rusty69

11 minutes ago, Glynn said:

So can anyone recommend a decent brand thats not out of the way price wise and are sealed batteries ?.

are Xplorer's any good for example ?.

Low price and high quality are mutually exclusive features in ANYTHING. 

Which do you want?

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

So, would you recommend a good one ?

Oops I missed this question.

Trojan T105 batteries are universally regarded as occupying the best cost Vs. quality price balance. 

£120 each and you'll need two or four as they are 6v. 

And a means of charging them properly.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oops I missed this question.

Trojan T105 batteries are universally regarded as occupying the best cost Vs. quality price balance. 

£120 each and you'll need two or four as they are 6v. 

And a means of charging them properly.

Are they sealed? Think that's what OP is looking for 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Are they sealed? Think that's what OP is looking for 

Feck moi, I forgot that requirement!

Ok, sealed, maintenance-free, high quality, really cheap batteries. 

Nope. Can't think of any. 

Can you?

Some obvious observations.

1) CCA (cold cranking amps), is surely not relevant to a domestic / leisure battery, but these quote a massive 1000 CCA.  If true, these in my view are more like starter batteries labelled as domestics.

2) Terminal posts in the midde of the battery, rather than at the standard corners is not a usual arrangement.  Unless you want to risk having to lengthen some of your cabling, you would need to check all existing leads have enough length to reach the unconventional position of these terminals.  They are also above the height of the battery, many contain them within that height.  Has your battery storage got the required clearances?

3) 3 year guarantee on bog standard lead acid batteries is unusual, but specifically only covers manufacturing faults and defects, giving them enough wriggle roon that you probably killed them if they fail, rather than there having been any fault.

Edited by alan_fincher

If you're happy to pay that much for 130Ah wet batteries you might as well spend a little more and get 110Ah AGMs. They allow for greater depth of discharge so effectively give more power. They charge more quickly too (up to a point) and are sealed. I've been experimenting recently by replacing the cranking batteries in my vans and the leisure batteries in my campervan with AGMs before splashing out £2k on my boat batteries. The Xplorer AGMs seem to be good. In fact the other brand I bought seem good too but they've just jumped up 40% in price since last week so I can't recommend them.

47 minutes ago, BWM said:

I tend to avoid anything with 'super' in the name, generally identfies something that really isn't.

Same rule generally applies to discount, budget, bargain, or any business claiming to be a certain area's 'premier' establishment.

10 hours ago, Glynn said:

So can anyone recommend a decent brand thats not out of the way price wise and are sealed batteries ?.

are Xplorer's any good for example ?.

Hi

Yes I can assist with my twopenneth worth. I fitted four 110 amp hour 12 volt jobbies from Brit marine ( Sawley marina ) well over two years ago now and still going strong. They were 74.50 each and are now 89.00 each. They are sealed and I NEVER look at them as life is way too short to pee about with batteries. After many years living mainly off grid I would recommend them to you. I dont usualy buy from marinas but on this occasion their blurb is actualy true. They are on line at Britmarine and delivered free if that helps.

Cheeeeers