How do I register to vote when cc'ing without a permanent address?

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this?

Naturally I would like to vote in the forthcoming general election but so far I'm not getting near to registering.

When the election was announced I did various Google searches which directed me to the gov.uk site. This stated that I have the right to vote when "living on a boat or other movable dwelling" even without a permanent address. I attempted to complete the online registration forms but hit a dead end when it requested a postcode. After going through a few sub menus it advised me to contact my local electoral office.

I went to the council offices this morning and was told I need to be on the open register (?) to vote, I said no problem, sign me up. The response was that I need a postcode to register! I explained the situation again and got the reply that they need a postcode to send the forms to and I also needed a local connection. The local connection was no problem because I was able to show I had paid council tax in this area for 20 odd years prior to moving aboard but she kept telling me that without a postcode she can't register me. I'm not sure whether she was being deliberately obtuse or just incompetent but I ended up leaving the offices without a solution just "advice" to look online.

I have a valid UK passport if that means anything.

Apparently I need to be registered before 22nd of May to be eligible. I'd like to get it sorted ASAP because i'm currently cruising and won't be in this area very long and I'm wary of heading to a different district where I won't have the local connection to fall back on.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

My first response was that you could download a form from gov.uk, but I see that you have tried that and it hasn't got you anywhere. I wonder if contacting an organisation such as the National Bargee Travellers' Association would be fruitful.

My driving licence is still the address of the house I sold prior to moving on the cut but as I no longer own a car I haven't bothered to update it.

I get non important mail sent to my sister's address but she would rather I don't register on the electoral roll at her address because i'm not actually a resident there.

Thanks for your response dor. 

Ooh, this is an interesting one! My first thought is that everyone should have a vote so there must be a precedent, but then I'm left wondering why should someone be able to vote for an MP or a councilor in a constituency or Borough they don't live in? 

You don't have to register your sisters address, but can still have your ballot paper sent there. The postcode can be one near to an area of the canal that you spend time close to.

You will need to download a form from the . gov website and send it in by post, select the one for no fixed or permanent abode (a quick Google will find it).

Ahhh thanks BWM, I'll go and give that a try, I didn't realise I could have it sent to my sister's address without registering there. Will have some fun now trying to download it on my phone & print the forms without a printer!

Cheers for the advice.

Edit; form was easy to find with your advice thanks, I was using the on line application when I should have been using the paper form.

Link in case it's useful for anyone else;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/voter-registration-forms-paper-versions

It's towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks again.

Edited by Nunovyrbizz
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

Will have some fun now trying to download it on my phone & print the forms without a printer!

Are you within reach of a library? You should be able to do it there.

20 minutes ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

Ahhh thanks BWM, I'll go and give that a try, I didn't realise I could have it sent to my sister's address without registering there. Will have some fun now trying to download it on my phone & print the forms without a printer!

Cheers for the advice.

Edit; form was easy to find with your advice thanks, I was using the on line application when I should have been using the paper form.

Link in case it's useful for anyone else;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/voter-registration-forms-paper-versions

It's towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks again.

Glad to help, the registration postcode is just identifying the constituency that you will be voting in. Thanks for adding the link, I don't find attaching stuff always goes to plan! 

• Greenie 1

When researching this for the brexit vote I found that you can register using a local post office as your address but it is only valid for one ballot and you need to reregister for subsequent ballots. I will try and find a link.

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

what stops anyone registering at multiple addresses of various relations and friends?

It's illegal, therefore it will not happen.

(This was the reason CORGI used to give for refusing to investigate gas installations by unqualified idiots!)

25 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

what stops anyone registering at multiple addresses of various relations and friends?

You need to register with your full name and National Insurance number as well as a postal address. This is supposed to uniquely identify you, the lists can be compared to discover duplicates and will also validate NI numbers against other details held. If voting by actually attending this would make life difficult for the fraudster anyway and there are checks for duplicates again for postal vote applications.

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's illegal, therefore it will not happen.

(This was the reason CORGI used to give for refusing to investigate gas installations by unqualified idiots!)

Fortunately CORGI do not run the electoral system mind you they don't run the gas regulations either now.