How do I register to vote when cc'ing without a permanent address?

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

My understanding of registering to vote, is that you can register in as many different places as you wish, but you can only vote in only one place.

Yes and no you can register in a place or places where you reside ("with a degree of permanence") but it is up to the Electoral Registration Officer to decide to allow it not you.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/i-have-two-homes.-can-i-register-to-vote-at-both-addresses

Edited by churchward

A very long time ago, when I was a student, I opted to register for a postal vote when I anticipated that an election might be called for when I was at university. (wasn't called uni in those days!)  I was most amused one day, whilst still at home in the last days of the summer vacation, to be accosted by a canvasser for a party which I did not support. I kept them talking for ages only then to reveal that they were wasting their time as I had already voted - but would not reveal how!

I contacted MP who had no idea . If they want an address which follows me then I have an email address which in this the 21st century should be good enough I can then give a poste restante for paperwork ..to do postal vote.

From the latest boaters update from CRT

Vote from a boat

Here we are again. Another national vote and while those who’ve been living on a boat for a few years will have had the information when published prior to last year’s EU referendum, those of you new to a life afloat (and those who didn’t get round to it last year) may need to know how to register to vote. The clock’s ticking and you have until 22 May so here goes…

Firstly, check that you fulfil the eligibility criteria:

• Aged 18 or over, and
  • Registered to vote in the UK by 22 May; and
  • A British or Irish citizen living in the UK, or
  • A Commonwealth citizen living in the UK who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK; or
  • A British citizen living overseas who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years; or
  • An Irish citizen living overseas who was born in Northern Ireland and who has been registered to vote in Northern Ireland in the last 15 years; or
  • A citizen of the Commonwealth nations of Malta and Cyprus.

All good? Then read on!

If you have a permanent mooring then you’re effectively a resident of that area and the process is the same as for your land-lubbing neighbours. Just visit the Government’s voting registration website.

It’s slightly more complicated if you’re always on the move and don’t have a home mooring. If this is your situation then you must register a declaration of local connection, which, when approved, will be valid for 12 months (or until you cancel it).

It’s not too hard though, find your local electoral registration office via Google. You’ll then need to pop along, explain your local connection and fill in a form. The ‘local connection’ should be at a place you spend the most time or where you have some connection. This could be where you were last permanently registered or any boatyard or marina you regularly use for maintenance.

Ta-da! If you didn’t apply to vote by post, all you now need to do is turn up on 8 June at your nearest polling station…

Edited by Bewildered

On 19/04/2017 at 17:19, Nunovyrbizz said:

My driving licence is still the address of the house I sold prior to moving on the cut but as I no longer own a car I haven't bothered to update it.

I get non important mail sent to my sister's address but she would rather I don't register on the electoral roll at her address because i'm not actually a resident there.

Thanks for your response dor. 

Be careful, it is a legal requirement to keep your driving license up to date.  You should tell DVLA of a change of address. BTW if something criminal happens and is connected to your old address it could be difficult for you having a license with that address. A long shot I know but it could happen.

On 21/04/2017 at 20:23, Bewildered said:

From the latest boaters update from CRT

Vote from a boat

Here we are again. Another national vote and while those who’ve been living on a boat for a few years will have had the information when published prior to last year’s EU referendum, those of you new to a life afloat (and those who didn’t get round to it last year) may need to know how to register to vote. The clock’s ticking and you have until 22 May so here goes…

Firstly, check that you fulfil the eligibility criteria:

• Aged 18 or over, and
  • Registered to vote in the UK by 22 May; and
  • A British or Irish citizen living in the UK, or
  • A Commonwealth citizen living in the UK who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK; or
  • A British citizen living overseas who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years; or
  • An Irish citizen living overseas who was born in Northern Ireland and who has been registered to vote in Northern Ireland in the last 15 years; or
  • A citizen of the Commonwealth nations of Malta and Cyprus.

All good? Then read on!

If you have a permanent mooring then you’re effectively a resident of that area and the process is the same as for your land-lubbing neighbours. Just visit the Government’s voting registration website.

It’s slightly more complicated if you’re always on the move and don’t have a home mooring. If this is your situation then you must register a declaration of local connection, which, when approved, will be valid for 12 months (or until you cancel it).

It’s not too hard though, find your local electoral registration office via Google. You’ll then need to pop along, explain your local connection and fill in a form. The ‘local connection’ should be at a place you spend the most time or where you have some connection. This could be where you were last permanently registered or any boatyard or marina you regularly use for maintenance.

Ta-da! If you didn’t apply to vote by post, all you now need to do is turn up on 8 June at your nearest polling station…

Fair play to CRT for publishing this, but I don't think that last bit is correct. I don't think you can just turn up on 8 June at your nearest polling station, I think you'll be told by the local electoral registration office which polling station you'll have to visit to cast your vote.