Blackburn advice

larryjc

Featured Posts

Hi we're going to arrive in Blackburn on the L&L in a few days (from the west).  The good book advises against staying overnight in the town although it does say there are some secure moorings.  Any local knowledge would be appreciated.  Where to stop before the town to do the locks and 'escape' in one day (there are only two of us and we are not fast) or where its Ok to stop in the town etc.

We usually overnight at Riley Green and then get an early start to go through Blackburn. We have never stopped in Blackburn, but we have always founds the natives to be entirely friendly. Even when we encountered groups drinking from vodka bottles at locks, when engaged, they have always been friendly, interested in the canal and quite happy to lend a hand opening and closing gates. We tend to keep going until we get to Rishton. This is not an overly long day, although Blackburn, due to the locks being spread out, can take some time to get through. Never had a problem there. It is only because of its reputation (perhaps not now justified), and indeed the lack of other moored boats, that have prevented our stopping. No doubt other members will have their own view.

Blackburns reputation is ill deserved these days.

plenty of nice places to moor up between johnsons hillock and Blackburn locks 

Riley  green is ok but unfortunately the recently refurbished pub burnt down last week 

eanam  wharf just past the locks is fine we usually overnight there never had a problem and handy for Morridogs to stock up. 

The mile or two past eanam is not too nice and I wouldn't moor there but once in countryside you're fine and rishton visitor moorings are fine with a great boater friendly cafe for an early morning bacon butty ! 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

I've stopped at eanam wharf, the secure mooring, padlocked gate with watermate key. No problem. 

It's not a water mate key anymore some sort of private arrangement to protect the offices and the youth boat 'bill hunt' that moors there I think 

We have just got back from a quick trip to Riley Green.  The Boat Yard (Pub) is almost ashes, which is a shame because it did some good grub.

As you get to the top of Johnston Locks there is water, elsan, pump out and shower - all clean and looked after.  Unfortunately the pub opposite is shut at the moment.  Its about 30 - 40 mins to Riley Green from there.  I cant remember bridge numbers but I would suggest that going under the motorway and mooring just before the next bridge.  There are good moorings next to the pub but it does smell a bit like a few day old wet fire at the moment, so we just moored before the bridge.

Rishton is easily reachable from there the next day and we have stayed there a couple of times without any problems but if you want to carry on a little further then we have moored past Clayton-le-Moors (just past the pipe bridge) a few times.  This is far more rural.  Doing this will give you a good run for the next day which we usually have a long(ish) day to get through Barrowford locks and you can moor before the tunnel.  This leaves you with a morning transit through the tunnel.  We have gone through the tunnel and carried onto a place called Salterford, which has a great little pub with some good food, after doing the locks, but that makes for quite a long day.  During the day, there is a handy Morrisons with its own mooring in Nelson, you just need a BW key to get into the car park.

The proviso on all these timings is - that it depends on what you pick up along the way.... my tally on the Riston to Barrowford leg has been 1 mattress, a welly,  a walking boot, a traffic cone, a hessian sack and a shop full of plastic bags.  

Ive heared some people complain about the run between Blackburn and Burnley.  That it is industrial and run down..... I quite like it because it gives you a good idea why they built these canals in the first place - to move things to and from these run down places.

Im sorry I have not given any bridge numbers or any useful information like that, but I dont have my guide with me!!!!

Enjoy the run..... the other side of the tunnel is just spectacular.  You will love 'the twisties'

Good info - we only got one large plastic sheet from Burnley. But the canal is pretty full of crap all the way - must be the dirtiest section of waterway we've seen so far.

Yes a bit mucky around Burnley but not that bad have had no problems around the area, and the mooring last the pipe bridge is very nice then just after the marina in Burnley or Rose grove and the pub and shop is local or Hapton moorings pub and shop for and take away

2 hours ago, larryjc said:

Good info - we only got one large plastic sheet from Burnley. But the canal is pretty full of crap all the way - must be the dirtiest section of waterway we've seen so far.

You've not been to Rochdale then!

My experience of Blackburn locks is lots of drinkers hanging around the top lock. Seemed friendly enough when you talk to them but I am not sure i would want to moor too close!

A lot of drinkers and a few dealers but we have never had a problem with them as long as you talk to them.  the only problems we have had is during kick out times at the local borstals (schools).  Little shoots they are.

I also wouldnt like to stop overnight

Wigan market for steak and cowheel pies, Blackburn market for the Sarsaparillla  stall, Burnley marker for Black puddings sold hot, Barnolswick pronounced barlik for good cafes Skipton for hot pork pies down springs branch. people tend to tip their heads back to catch the juice and walk into the canal.