tips or advice for a noisy gearbox

johnny nosh

Featured Posts

I don`t know if I have posted this in the right section, new to this site but here goes.

I have recently bought a ormelite cruiser ( built in 1968 ) and it has a wortham blake engine

and gearbox fitted. I have checked before and after trips the gearbox oil level and there seems to be

plenty of oil in the box, BUT it sounds very un healthy , ticking and clicking at low revs and sounds REALLY bad in

reverse.

Is there any one out there who can give me tips, info into sorting this problem ( if it is a problem, maybe it should sound this way )

Any help please, as I don`t want to set off on a trip and find I have to break out the oars to get home

4 hours ago, johnny nosh said:

I don`t know if I have posted this in the right section, new to this site but here goes.

I have recently bought a ormelite cruiser ( built in 1968 ) and it has a wortham blake engine

and gearbox fitted. I have checked before and after trips the gearbox oil level and there seems to be

plenty of oil in the box, BUT it sounds very un healthy , ticking and clicking at low revs and sounds REALLY bad in

reverse.

Is there any one out there who can give me tips, info into sorting this problem ( if it is a problem, maybe it should sound this way )

Any help please, as I don`t want to set off on a trip and find I have to break out the oars to get home

I have no knowledge of this engine/box but does it have a drive plate? Drive plates make similar such noises before shuffling off this mortal coil.

Thanks for responding

The engine is a ford anglia based motor and the gearbox and engine combo is

a fisher boy made by wortham blake. I have trawled the tinter web for info

and drawn a big fat blank ! ! !  I would imagine it has a drive plate, is that the same as a

clutch plate in a car ?  Is it a easy and more to the point not an expensive job ?

Probably a Ford pre- crossflow or crossflow petrol engine. Watamotor as well as Wortham Blake also marinized these engines. Both often used the, popular at the time Morris marine gearbox. If it is then-.  Inside are three levers equidistant apart that operate the forward gear clutch pack. Each lever has a peg with a locknut that sometimes came loose. This could cause a chattering rattle as well as unequal clutch movement. The 3 pegs should have an equal 25 thou gap in neutral.  All got at by removing the 4 top plate bolts and removing the top plate. I can't remember if these boxes were driven by a drive plate or a splined driving member.

• Greenie 1

Just now, johnny nosh said:

Thanks for responding

The engine is a ford anglia based motor and the gearbox and engine combo is

a fisher boy made by wortham blake. I have trawled the tinter web for info

and drawn a big fat blank ! ! !  I would imagine it has a drive plate, is that the same as a

clutch plate in a car ?  Is it a easy and more to the point not an expensive job ?

No Drive plate as such,check there is no Wire or Rope around the Prop. Shaft,do you have a weedhatch?

Those J Type reversing gears are always noisy in Astern

CT

• Greenie 1

Yes we have a weedhatch, had my arm down it the other day , reminded me of james herriot`s

all creatures great and small ! ! !

While I was down there I did find some strands of copper wire secured to the boat with a big self tapper

I thought I`d leave them there as I thought the might be some sort of earthing device. Would I be right ?

10 minutes ago, johnny nosh said:

Yes we have a weedhatch, had my arm down it the other day , reminded me of james herriot`s

all creatures great and small ! ! !

While I was down there I did find some strands of copper wire secured to the boat with a big self tapper

I thought I`d leave them there as I thought the might be some sort of earthing device. Would I be right ?

Probably, or the boat suffers from arthritis.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, johnny nosh said:

Thanks for the heads up on the locking nuts, I`ll give that a good coat of looking  at this weekend !

As for the arthritis, the one place I dont suffer with it is the place I could do with it ! !

If it is a Morris gearbox. A pic would show me.

4 minutes ago, johnny nosh said:

Yes there are two levers, one is the throttle ( short lever ) and gear selector ( long lever )

both placed on the left side of the wheel.

4 minutes ago, johnny nosh said:

Yes there are two levers, one is the throttle ( short lever ) and gear selector ( long lever )

both placed on the left side of the wheel.

Ok. It could have a hydraulic box or TMP or a more modern mechanical box like Technodrive.  Or the Morris box could be rigged up with effort reducing leverage. Await pics.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Ok. It could have a hydraulic box or TMP or a more modern mechanical box like Technodrive.  Or the Morris box could be rigged up with effort reducing leverage. Await pics.

Wortham Blake did make one which was operated by a Morse 33C cable and WaterMota did sometimes use a Morse 44 cable for the J type Reversing gear

I`ve been going through all the paper work the last owner passed to me and I`ve found a wortham blake guarantee card.

It states that the engine is a fisherboy mk3 and it gives the gearbox number as mlc.5106. Is that of any use to you ?

7 hours ago, johnny nosh said:

reverse.

The "Ticking and Clicking" you mention could be transmission noise or a sticky Valve/loose Tappet.another reason for ticking/chuffing noise from the 105E is a Perforated Hotspot which transfers heat from Exhaust Manifold to Inlet Manifold,it's purpose was to warm the intake Fuel Vapour in cold conditions.

It is located beneath the Carburetter 

The old 997cc 105E engines always had clickity tappets, the exhaust tappet clearance setting was 25 thou!  They also sometimes broke off a slice of a cam follower foot, the sharp broken edge left would promptly machine its cam down, perfectly circular, usually an inlet valve follower, just like a lathe had done it. Symptoms are, one cylinder out of action, severe missfire, restricted power, ''like a wee laddie trying to run with his breechs doon'', as the Scots would say, accompanied by strange explosive popping noises.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The old 997cc 105E engines always had clickity tappets, the exhaust tappet clearance setting was 25 thou!  They also sometimes broke off a slice of a cam follower foot, the sharp broken edge left would promptly machine its cam down, perfectly circular, usually an inlet valve follower, just like a lathe had done it. Symptoms are, one cylinder out of action, severe missfire, restricted power, ''like a wee laddie trying to run with his breechs doon'', as the Scots would say, accompanied by strange explosive popping noises.

25 Thou! one could set those with a Slice of Ham(Tesco)