tips or advice for a noisy gearbox

johnny nosh

Featured Posts

Morning all

Thanks for your input on this topic, the engine was re-built 3years ago and I don`t like

tempting fate but its a happy little thing. I don`t think the last owner took her out

very much, just liked to work on her and sit on board her relaxing.

When I put it into reverse I thought the noise could be dinner plates or cutlery

vibrating, so I moored up, moved all the plates and cutlery away from the dinette

storage area and tried again with reverse gear and low and behold it was`nt the plates and

cutlery vibrating . The noises are comming from the gearbox area or so my dodgy ears tell me.

20 hours ago, johnny nosh said:

I don`t know if I have posted this in the right section, new to this site but here goes.

I have recently bought a ormelite cruiser ( built in 1968 ) and it has a wortham blake engine

and gearbox fitted. I have checked before and after trips the gearbox oil level and there seems to be

plenty of oil in the box, BUT it sounds very un healthy , ticking and clicking at low revs and sounds REALLY bad in

reverse.

Is there any one out there who can give me tips, info into sorting this problem ( if it is a problem, maybe it should sound this way )

Any help please, as I don`t want to set off on a trip and find I have to break out the oars to get home

Does your gearbox have a reduction box fitted to it ? If so, a badly worn chain and sprockets could be the source of the noises. I think that some Wortham Blake (although it might have been 'Watermota' - it was a long time ago!) reverse gears were supplied with duplex or triplex chain reduction boxes instead of the more usual pinion and reduction wheel set-up. It is easy enough to establish whether it is a chain or a gear equipped box - just check the rotation of the reduction box output shaft/half coupling - if it is rotating in the same hand as the engine crankshaft in ahead gear, then you have got a chain equipped reduction gear.

Edited by PhilAtterley
  • Greenie 2

During my youth, the recommended way of curing gearbox noise (immediately prior to selling a car) was to add sawdust to the gearbox oil. If that didn't work the chopped banana skins were reputed to work. -_-

Not sure if this will help the OP though.

• 3 weeks later...