Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Victor Vectis

General Election

481 posts in this topic

On the subject of the election, I watched a bit of Question Time the other night and have to say that I'm in total agreement with one of the audience who commented on the continued use of 'strap lines' by politicians. Apparently his wife had bet him £10 that the Conservative on the panel would use the terms ' Strong and Stable' and 'Coalition of Chaos' within his first few contributions to the debate, unsurprisingly she won her bet. I have to say that I'm already sick to death of listening to such utter crap from politicians and the campaign has barely begun. I don't like Corbyn and he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of election but the one thing that I will say for him is that when asked a question he does give his answer to it, not this regurgitation of sound bites put forward by Party Headquarters. If I have to listen to the crap proposed by the Aussie Twerp Crosby (no, I won't call him Sir Anything) then he should be the one putting himself up for election, not telling the politicians what they should say. I find it insulting to the intelligence of the electorate that they need to find some inane strap line to keep repeating like parrots just to make sure that the electorate understand such simple nonsense. If strap lines such as these are what is needed to win elections, then perhaps the electorate aren't too bright:unsure:

3 hours ago, catweasel said:

You have a Moggy Pickup? Moggy pickups and vans were once my choice of transport. Luv em. I'll bet that an A series is quite low polluting on LPG? Have you put better ignition system on it? My favourite was a van which the back had fallen off, and we acquired a pickup bulkhead and fitted it. Then I built a wooden pickup back on it. Neighbours called me Jed Clampit. 

It would make no sense for me with my 3k miles a year, but I am amazed that LPG is not used more. Often thoguht of running the genny on it.

I have your pickup! well not quite I built it from a van its a lovely beast 1275 GT engine sierra, type 9 5 speed gearbox, fiesta seats traveller back axel. midget disc brakes with new master cyl and reservoir in engine compartment it was a new chassis and most of the body! in fact I dont think anything of the original is left :wacko: and yes I am Jed Clampits brother 

4 hours ago, catweasel said:

I would have to check with him, but I seem to recall my son mentioing cylinder head probs with some LPG conversions. I believe "pinking" can be a problem on some?

I am amazed what Moggies change hands for now, I used to pay about a hundred quid for them and would have a couple for spares. Never owned a woody or a saloon though (yet ;)) I saw a pickup for sale a V6 Ford fitted and suitable suspension/brakes. It was love at first sight, but I was skint.

There are some very good modified Minors out there but the best are expensive and the cheap could be dangerous!

We once got one together for a friend which was had a V8 Rover engine shoe horned in and a Jag back axle with inboard disc brakes.  It didn't leave much room in the cabin for legs! We had to do quite a lot to the front suspension before getting something that handled OK. It was always a great van in a straight line but going round corners reliably was more of a challenge.

I have a Traveller that is modified but only mildly in comparison. It has a 1275cc MG Midget engine and a Ford 5 speed box and modified suspension and disc breaks on the front. It is OK and runs along nicely at 70mph on the motorway.

5 minutes ago, churchward said:

There are some very good modified Minors out there but the best are expensive and the cheap could be dangerous!

We once got one together for a friend which was had a V8 Rover engine shoe horned in and a Jag back axle with inboard disc brakes.  It didn't leave much room in the cabin for legs! We had to do quite a lot to the front suspension before getting something that handled OK. It was always a great van in a straight line but going round corners reliably was more of a challenge.

I have a Traveller that is modified but only mildly in comparison. It has a 1275cc MG Midget engine and a Ford 5 speed box and modified suspension and disc breaks on the front. It is OK and runs along nicely at 70mph on the motorway.

Interesting. Think I have seen a Midget/Ford conversion, definitely seen a marina engined one with front discs etc (possibly Ford box again) and one sticks in my mind that had the Riley 1.5 engine in it. I was told that this was a very easy conversion and could make a big difference over the 1000 engine.

I often wondered about a V8 in the back of a pickup onto a Hewland transmission, but don't have the necessary skills/patience/equipment/premises for such a project!

Might be getting confused here, but I seem to recall some customisers used the Viva front cross member in Moggie customs?

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have your pickup! well not quite I built it from a van its a lovely beast 1275 GT engine sierra, type 9 5 speed gearbox, fiesta seats traveller back axel. midget disc brakes with new master cyl and reservoir in engine compartment it was a new chassis and most of the body! in fact I dont think anything of the original is left :wacko: and yes I am Jed Clampits brother 

Do you have pics? Sounds really good. Sadly the ones of my Moggies (and other cars) got lost.

Nice touch putting the master cylinder in the engine compartment. The one awful job on a Moggie because of the torsion bars! If only they had put the bolts the other way around in the factory!

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Do you have pics? Sounds really good. Sadly the ones of my Moggies (and other cars) got lost.

Nice touch putting the master cylinder in the engine compartment. The one awful job on a Moggie because of the torsion bars! If only they had put the bolts the other way around in the factory!

I will post them when I do the working boats