We're just reached TWO MILLION posts!! Thank you to those who have contributed to Canal World. Read the announcement here 

Victor Vectis

General Election

2,707 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Doesn't surprise me at all, It has been talked about over the last few weeks that she could call a snap election, It is a good time for her as they are well ahead in the polls, 

Edited by I Spartacus

Hopefully we will get an 'unquestionable' result and she can continue to govern knowing she has the 'support of the people'.

It will also (hopefully) show how way-off base those nutty Labourites are as they get a severe beating which will allow them to reform as a credible  party.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Well, that should shut Sturgeon up for a while :-) . If her party get a trouncing at the local elections on 4th of May that should hopefully see the start of the demise of her party.  We can only hope.  

Whatever the result of the General Election is, I wonder what effect it will have on Brexit or are we too far down the line now for things to be changed?

haggis

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Well, that should shut Sturgeon up for a while :-) . If her party get a trouncing at the local elections on 4th of May that should hopefully see the start of the demise of her party.  We can only hope.  

Whatever the result of the General Election is, I wonder what effect it will have on Brexit or are we too far down the line now for things to be changed?

haggis

As there is no viable opposition to the Conservative party nothing will change. Ms May has called it knowing she cannot lose.

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

If the Tories lost then the future of Brexit becomes very unclear, despite the majority of the voting electorate choosing it. 

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hopefully we will get an 'unquestionable' result and she can continue to govern knowing she has the 'support of the people'.

It will also (hopefully) show how way-off base those nutty Labourites are as they get a severe beating which will allow them to reform as a credible  party.

As a disabled person I sincerely hope this vile disabled hating govt loses, thousands of disabled people have died at her hands if she wins again it will get worse. They are ideologically a nasty party, hate filled and only interested in those who already have enough. When disabled people have their support cut time after time whilst those at the top end of society get tax cuts and benefits handed to them it is clear they are interested only in punishing the poor for being poor and rewarding the haves for having.

On the other hand she needs 60% of MPs to vote in favour of a general election. Labour/LD voting for an election now is like turkeys voting for xmas.

What's going on. The election is in discussion on this forum before the BBC website even knows about it! 

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

What's going on. The election is in discussion on this forum before the BBC website even knows about it! 

The BBC certainly know all about it, they've been talking about it since 11:10. Whether or not they've updated their website isn't particularly relevant. 

3 minutes ago, KevMc said:

On the other hand she needs 60% of MPs to vote in favour of a general election. Labour/LD voting for an election now is like turkeys voting for xmas.

Yup, we'll have to wait and see. 

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Everyone is just 'getting in' before the thread is closed.

(Politics discussions are banned U-Know)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

...unlike their announcement about Brian Matthew a few weeks ago.

I did not know about this until I read it on here - CWDF, first with the latest!

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Everyone is just 'getting in' before the thread is closed.

(Politics discussions are banned U-Know)

...that's as may be, but news is not banned. Incidentally, it is now on BBC's web site, where it seems to have appeared about ten past eleven.

May will no doubt win and can they say she has the support of the nation and is duly elected as their PM.

Then watch for Edrogan-type increase in powers, followed by an end to fixed-term elections.

We have nothing to fear. The great British public have shown their great sense in the Brexit result. The conservatives have no opposition so all will continue in a sensible way.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

...unlike their announcement about Brian Matthew a few weeks ago.

I did not know about this until I read it on here - CWDF, first with the latest!

...that's as may be, but news is not banned.

Just to be clear : Are you saying that 'political news' is allowed ?

2 minutes ago, dor said:

Then watch for Edrogan-type increase in powers,

I wonder if he is related to Mr. Erdogan of Turkey. Mr. & Mrs. Rogan and their son Ed...

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just to be clear : Are you saying that 'political news' is allowed ?

Just to be clear: do you interpret "that's as may be" in that way?

You can, however, tell that the thread is being monitored.

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As there is no viable opposition to the Conservative party nothing will change. Ms May has called it knowing she cannot lose.

No... it just means we'll end up with the monster raving loony party running the country

and everything will carry on as normal

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Wow!

June 8th!

Who saw that coming?

Indeed I am a little surprised it was a possibility to get a strong mandate to continue with Brexit but the PM did seem determined to carry on until the EU negotiations were done. But from the Tory point of view this makes some sense.  They could get a bigger majority in Parliament which will be useful for future votes on tricky matters and it could be the Torys are also trying to wrong foot the SNP and hope that the SNP lose seats in the election. I have not seen latest figures of how Scottish voters might vote.

There will need to be a vote in parliament as per the new rules for calling an election early instead of a fixed term.  They will need labour to vote for it but it would be surprising if they did not. I guess some parties may try and make the election something of another Brexit vote.  I expect that is what the Lib Dems will be campaigning for.

Edited by churchward

19 minutes ago, KevMc said:

Yes but they face being branded as cowards if they do not.  What opposition would not want to have an election or be seen to do so?  They are probably stuffed either way. It would be extraordinary if labour voted against an election and keep the conservatives in power they would effectively be saying we are not fit to govern.

It is a no lose scenario for the Tory government labour do not vote for an election they stay in power, labour vote for an election then most likely they still stay in power and probably with an increased majority.

Edited by churchward

It is going to be fun seeing how all the parties play it coming up to the election. Lib/Lab/.Snp/Ukip/ all fighting their corner sit back and watch the in-fighting and the feathers fly .

8 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

No... it just means we'll end up with the monster raving loony party running the country

and everything will carry on as normal

That would be good but screaming Lord Such is long since dead so that will not happen.............He probably would have been good though :D

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That would be good but screaming Lord Such is long since dead so that will not happen.............He probably would have been good though :D

I thought he'd moved to the US and renamed himself Trump

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I thought he'd moved to the US and renamed himself Trump

I had a similar thought, followed by "or was it N. Korea?"

1 hour ago, haggis said:

haggis

I suppose one reason for calling the election is to try and reduce SNPs influence in Scotland and MPs in UK Parliament and they see a chance to do that and in the PMs terms strengthen the union.  I would say that is much more a risky strategy than just winning the general election but it will be interesting to see it unfold.  It is also interesting to see if the election shows the same support for Brexit as last June or indeed that there is an increase in support or not.

Edited by churchward

2 hours ago, churchward said:

Yes but they face being branded as cowards if they do not.  What opposition would not want to have an election or be seen to do so?  They are probably stuffed either way. It would be extraordinary if labour voted against an election and keep the conservatives in power they would effectively be saying we are not fit to govern.

It is a no lose scenario for the Tory government labour do not vote for an election they stay in power, labour vote for an election then most likely they still stay in power and probably with an increased majority.

Also as opportunist turncoats. I haven't looked it up, but I imagine the Official Opposition was against the Fixed Term Parliament Bill when it was presented to the Commons during the coalition government.

Labour activists know that a spannering is on the cards, so they want to get it over with as soon as possible.