Help! Lister Petter Alpha stuck in reverse

Featured Posts

Hello there! I am new to this forum but see people are very helpful, so thought I'd try my luck and see if anyone can offer advice. I've recently bought my boat and done a fair amount of cruising over the past three weeks. Today as I was reversing, I tried to change to forward and the engine was stuck in reverse. It would not go into neutral or forwards at all. I stopped the engine. When I re-started it was still in reverse. It's a Lister Petter Alpha with a Delta 20 Gearbox. I read on another post in here that it could be something to do with oil level, but I have been in the engine bay with my headtorch for the past half hour and cannot see a dipstick for the gearbox oil. Does anyone know where this might be or if I am even on the right train of thought here? I don't know much about the engine yet but am learning as fast as I can. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help as I am currently stuck on the Shropshire Union. 

Sophie 

The dip stick   is attached to  the  brass hexagon headed filler plug, remove the screw to check  the level.  The oil  is  the    same as   your engine as this  has hydraulically operated clutch plates. If  you   are  stuck in a gear    then it is more likely  the morse  connecting cable or    its outer sleeve  has     come loose

Edited by adrianh

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Port is the left when stood on the stern and facing the front of the boat. 

Hey, I'm just sayin'... not everyone knows :)

If the level is correct, can you move the lever by hand?

That's it. No port left at the party.

Hello! Thanks very much for your help. I am calling it a night and will try again tomorrow. I have seen that when I move the gear lever, there is no movement at the mechanism where the cable joins the gearbox. However, if I manually move the part to other position then try reverse with the lever, the cable moves the part to its original position. This may make little sense without knowing the name of the 'part',sorry! It makes me think the cable going from gear lever might have snapped? Hm...hopefully all will become clear in the morning. Thanks again 

10 minutes ago, BriarRose said:

Hello! Thanks very much for your help. I am calling it a night and will try again tomorrow. I have seen that when I move the gear lever, there is no movement at the mechanism where the cable joins the gearbox. However, if I manually move the part to other position then try reverse with the lever, the cable moves the part to its original position. This may make little sense without knowing the name of the 'part',sorry! It makes me think the cable going from gear lever might have snapped? Hm...hopefully all will become clear in the morning. Thanks again 

Sounds like an outer cable retaining clip has come adrift.